Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info on Busch Pressman Model D 4x5

Old School Wayne

Info on Busch Pressman Model D 4x5

Whoa...easy big fella...easy.....now just set down that baby formula reeeeeeaaaaalllll slow before somebody gets hurt....

I have a Busch Pressman myself that doesn't have a lensboard and I thought I might make one, but I don't know very much about it. If Mr. James Pineda could tell me something about it, it would help.- Benny Drinnon

Hi all, Lens boards for the Pressman are a snap to make. Go to a hobby shop and get some .015 aluminum stock (like 4 inches wide). Cut out a piece the shape of the board holder opening and a second piece about 2 and a half inches across with the same rounded corners and a projection on the top edge about a half inch long and a quarter inch high. Fold the projection 90 degrees in a vise, epoxy the two pieces together, slip the board in the camera and mark the projection with the hold-down screw, and drill a small hole on the mark. Spray with flat black enamel. Presto, one blank board that looks like an original.

Hi all,

I just picked up a Busch Pressman model D and am trying to figure out how the rangefinder is supposed to work--are the black dots supposed to move or is the whole frame supposed to move into alignment with a non-moving image (kind of like a Leica) or what? Also, the shutter only seems to work on the 'B' setting--any recommendations for a place that can fix it? Thanks a bunch!

Nikki: The fact that the dots are black is probably a bad sign. Which rangefinder is it (Kalart or Vue-Focus)? I have the latter, and the spots are transparent yellow, allowing the images to be aligned and still visible. Since your shutter needs servicing anyway, find an older camera repair shop that can do both. The rangefinder may simply need a cleaning. You didn't say where you were...

On another note, for those of you with lots of BP experience, can the 1970's Rodenstock 127 Polaroid lenses be used with a rangefinder calibrated for the original 127 lenses (Rodenstock or Kodak Ektar)? I would guess so, but I don't think the newer lenses are the same formula, despite being the same focal length. Would it matter?

Hello,
    Awaiting the arrival of a Busch D (just transferred the money to an Ebay seller), I've read pretty much everyting there is to read about this camera.
    I read a lot of people having the idea the lensboards are difficult to get.
    As mentioned in a single post on this site, you cant buy them new at
    Midwest Photo Exchange
    for 39 dollar, new....

so what's all the fuzz about?

I'm really looking foreward to hearing the postguy ringing my doorbell and start playing with this camera, should be something different than the EOS 20d I'm currently using.. Mine have the newer type Rangefinder (Vue Focus) and I hope to use this cam for handheld portraits and street photography, but that seems to be somewhat of a difficult affair..