Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doesn't Kodak want to sell 8x10 Tri-X anymore?

Doesn't Kodak want to sell 8x10 Tri-X anymore?

Received a Freestyle catalog in the mail today and turned to the film section and got quite a shock. Kodak 8x10 Tri-X is considerably more expensive per sheet in 10-sheet boxes than it was in 50-sheet boxes. And considerably more expensive than its competitors, Kodak T-Max 400 and Ilford HP-5 Plus.
    To wit,
    8x10 Tri-X in 10-sheet box: $46.99 for 10 sheets is $234.95 for 50 sheets or $4.70/sheet.
    8x10 T-Max 400 in 50-sheet box: $153.99 for 50 sheets is $3.08/sheet.
    8x10 HP-5 Plus in 25-sheet box: $81.99 for 25 sheets is $163.98 for 50 sheets or $3.28/sheet.

In January, 2008, I bought 50-sheet boxes of 8x10 Tri-X from Freestyle for $152.99 ($3.06/sheet). The other 8x10's were roughly the same price.

I'm surprised Kodak would do this with such a popular and classic film, in a sense their flagship film. Just a few years ago they were praising its 50th anniversary.

I've been using 8x10 Tri-X for a long time and I would hate to switch, but I may have to. It's been years since I've looked at T-Max 400 and HP-5 Plus data/results. I know many of you really like these films. Any suggestions, especially for pt/pd printing?
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net

Re: Doesn't Kodak want to sell 8x10 Tri-X anymore?

Where the one goes the others are sure to follow. Stay with the Tri-X.

It has been said either here or on APUG that the 10 sheet packaging is a marketing strategy for the introduction of the improved emulsion. It is commonly felt that Kodak will go back to offering 50 sheet boxes in the future. After all, it is just packaging.

The new TMY is also only available in 10 sheet packages. B&H sells Tri-x 8x10 10 sheets for $42, TMY 8x10 10 sheets is $49....Ilford can't be too far behind.....

Ilford is selling film in 25 sheet boxes, which seems like a reasonable compromise between 10 and 50.

Kodak used to offer sheet film in 25 sheet boxes as well.
    I'd better shut up now.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    It has been said either here or on APUG that the 10 sheet packaging is a marketing strategy for the introduction of the improved emulsion. It is commonly felt that Kodak will go back to offering 50 sheet boxes in the future. After all, it is just packaging.
    I've seen the same posts, but I haven't seen a shred of evidence that supports that infomation. I hope we'll see 50 sheet packages at a lower per sheet price, but until I see or hear something from Kodak--it's all wishful thinking. For black and white films, I honestly don't understand the marketing strategy of 10 sheet boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I've seen the same posts, but I haven't seen a shred of evidence that supports that infomation. I hope we'll see 50 sheet packages at a lower per sheet price, but until I see or hear something from Kodak--it's all wishful thinking. For black and white films, I honestly don't understand the marketing strategy of 10 sheet boxes.
    I'll try and call up our contacts in Kodak and see if I can get any answers from them a little later if I can. Who knows, maybe I can get an answer...but it is Kodak we're talking about. I love their films, but they're pretty silly.

I'm not generally a big fan of Kodak, but in their defense, silver prices have been trending upward for at least the last five years (though significantly down over the past month). Likewise, packaging and shipping costs have seen recent price spikes. My guess is that market conditions will force other manufacturers to raise prices as well.

On Kodak's website is a Q&A on the new T-Max 400. One of the answers is clearly misleading, if not deceptive. The question "Are you making any other changes?" is answered as follows, "...We will be replacing 50-sheet sizes of 8x10 sheet film with more economical 10-sheet sizes" (referring to T-Max 100, T-Max 400, Tri-X 320). Granted a 10-sheet box would cost less than a 50-sheet box, but a sheet in the 10-sheet box costs $1.62 more than a sheet in the old 50-sheet box. Obviously, not more economical where it counts, price per sheet. Their statement is clearly misleading, wrong. I hate to see Kodak act like this. I would like to think better of them.
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net