Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Las Cruces, NM

Re: Las Cruces, NM

Brian

I work on a Canadian military base. When equipment is too old for your museums you sell them to our forces for our "new" equipment. No it is not quite that bad as the old stuff like a tank and howitizer I look out my office window on. But the museum does sound interesting and thanks for the suggestion.

Another vote for White Sands and the VLA.

Got back from New Mexico Saturday night and just wish to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions. I ended up taking the Hasselblad and a Sony P&S, the later perhaps one of the most useful camera types for what I used it for. My wife joined me as I was finishing by course and brought her Pentax K10D.
    In Las Cruces we went to the gallery for a Rodin show and then back to Mesilla for the day of the dead. Wandering around Mesilla we came across some adobe bricks drying and decided to photograph the patterns. By the time I went to the car and came back my wife knew all there was to know about the political views of the building owners. It seemed that when people found out we were from Canada politics and weather were the main subjects of conversations. What was discussed is of course not a relevant topic, but a hint is the weather back home was warm as well

East to the White Sands and back west on our way to Gila Cliff Dwellings. City of Rock was amazing too. Ended up coming upon the old court house in Hillsboro with fading light and did not get much there. Continued to Salinas National Monuments and then to Albuquerque where we fly home. I missed out many of the places that were suggested due to timing or that with two of us there were two preferences for places.

Shot about 30 rolls of 120 and my wife 2 rolls and she perhaps 3000 digital images and me a couple of hundred. Digital was made for her and her style of shooting, she shot like that in the 70s too

The course I took was great, very valuable and am going to see about coming back late Feb to take a different one so perhaps can make trips to some of the other sites suggested. Not sure if Fort Craig was mentioned but it was great and we did stop at Dripping Springs and a few other spots. We also came upon three Border Patrol stops where they asked our Citizenship and if we had passports but never did they want to see any ID. And the very last day in New Mexico came upon a place at the airport which was the first place that we found that knew how to make tea.

It is great to be home. It is nice to travel but always great to return. Once again thanks very much.

Ivan

Ivan