Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to get nude models...

Best way to get nude models...

Well, I would like to try taking some nude shots for a kind of portfolio I'm putting together, but I really don't know a good way to get models for it! It seems like many ways would just come off creepy, or just in some way wrong. I don't have a studio, so I feel that kind of makes it just that much harder, really. I live in a small college town though, so that might work to my advantage. I figure perhaps some college girls might would do it for some cash as most people are on tight enough budgets these days. I just still don't know how to broach the question, or the best way to get it out in general.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions in advance, I'm stumped!

-Will

Re: Best way to get nude models...

Ask Frank Petronio! Then again there's probably model mayhem.

Well I hope he offers some help! I was thinking about paying them like 50-100 dollars for about an hour or so (seems fair!) and give them a copy of at least some of the prints. I probably wouldn't do more than 10-20 shots in that time so I imagine that would be easy enough to give them a copy. Do some 4x5 and a roll or two of 35mm.

-Will

I was in a workshop this past weekend with nude models.

The models were recruited via an advertisement on Craig's List and were paid $20 per hour for figure work plus lunch. The person who arranged for the models told me that he got a number of calls in response to the ad - some were turned off by the fact that the gig involved nudity, while many more simply didn't want to drive 30-45 minutes to get to the workshop site. Also, he said that advertising earlier would have resulted in more potential models - many of those who responded already had commitments for the days we needed them.

Incidentally, I would certainly give them prints. Just don't forget to get a model release.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    I was in a workshop this past weekend with nude models.

The models were recruited via an advertisement on Craig's List and were paid $20 per hour for figure work plus lunch. The person who arranged for the models told me that he got a number of calls in response to the ad - some were turned off by the fact that the gig involved nudity, while many more simply didn't want to drive 30-45 minutes to get to the workshop site. Also, he said that advertising earlier would have resulted in more potential models - many of those who responded already had commitments for the days we needed them.

Incidentally, I would certainly give them prints. Just don't forget to get a model release.
    I had thought about the craigslist post, I just really don't know how to write it out? I would want to certainly mention that the work would be nude so I wouldn't have to turn a lot of people away with that. Posting it to where it seems credible so people will call and not think I'm some kind of serial killer seems almost difficult as paranoid as people are.

I attended a program a couple nights ago put on by a husband and wife team that do some glamour photography. The wife did all the work with the models, the husband/photographer handled the lighting and clicked the shutter. They didn't need to find the models, the models were coming to them for the photographs and paying, but I thought the idea of using a woman for almost everything except clicking the shutter was a good idea. Maybe you have a wife or female friend who'd be willing to make the arrangements, help with posing, etc.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Well, I just broke up with my girlfriend last night...damn! I'm sure I can find some one to help me though. If not, perhaps a very effeminate male would work too! It does seem a good idea though, perhaps make them a little more at ease which would certainly translate to the celluloid.

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by ViewIIguy View Post
    Well, I just broke up with my girlfriend last night...
    Not a good time to be looking at nekkid women whilst maintaining only pure thoughts.

When we needed a few models for our catalog pictures we initially went through a modeling agency. The cost was very high because the agency required their fees.

While at a local art supply store we saw a bulletin board with advertisements on them. There were several from models and we have used them ever since. Their hourly fee was $35 and we also provided refreshments and pictures for their portfolios.

Try the local art supply store and see if they have a similar poster board.

If you live in a college town and there is an art department at the college, speak with one of the instructors there. Perhaps, he can help by providing a referral to a model looking for work.

Tomaas

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Not a good time to be looking at nekkid women whilst maintaining only pure thoughts.
    Haha, I might agree with you. She was the reason I wasn't allowed to take photos before now. She was always worried I would run off with them and what not. Now I'm free to follow my artistic wiles where ever they might take me though!