Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best way to get nude models...

jetcode

Re: Best way to get nude models...

Will I'm not where Frank is in his work but I've photographed at least 25 different nude female models and in the end they are people first and foremost. I found that women who made fashion statements with their clothes and style were far more colorful and entertaining than the nude. You can get a lot of where a photographer is coming from when they show you a print. If they get excited over a crappy print it's because they shot (in their eyes) a hot model. The print and composition is everything in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Will I'm not where Frank is in his work but I've photographed at least 25 different nude female models and in the end they are people first and foremost. I found that women who made fashion statements with their clothes and style were far more colorful and entertaining than the nude. You can get a lot of where a photographer is coming from when they show you a print. If they get excited over a crappy print it's because they shot (in their eyes) a hot model. The print and composition is everything in my book.
    I agree totally with the last bit for certain. I was looking through the model mayhem people in my area, and the ones that had nudes often had the most responses about the picture it seemed. I want to take some nudes because I've never done it before, but I'm certainly going to be taking more fully clothes I'm sure. The ones that were nude were often, as you said, less well composed but still got better remarks. Usually they would have a much more stunning site on their page with them dressed, one that I would be envious of the photographer. Really I just want MODELS. Some one I can work with to get my people photographing up. What I'm going to try and do, I believe, is work with the same model (who will do nudes) a few times and then go about the nudes after we've worked up some what of an understanding about what each of us wants when we're doing our thing. Seems like it would be easier for me as a first timer, and possibly easier for her since she knows i'm not just some random perv...well maybe.

Art schools can be a good resource for models. If your portfolio shows you are dedicated and your approach is credible, you might be able to get in contact with their list. Be patient. Art stores also would be a good place to put up "wanted" notes.

C

Friends, family, neighbors, craigs list, local paper, college paper, local art or underground or alternitave papers. local art websites. I never have problems just be upfront and honest in what you are looking for.

#1 If you want semi-nude, say so. If you are looking for a fine art figure model including full frontal, say so. If you want erotica, say so. Never say one thing and then spring somthing else on them. If you want to do a more explicit shoot with a model finish the shoot you are doing and bring it up at a later time.

#2 Be willing to meet them in a public place of their choice to show some images and talk first.

#3 Always encourage them to bring a friend.

#4 Give images (prints, discs, email) in a timely fashon.

#5 Don't preasure a model who contacts you. Leave the ball in their court. If you keep calling a contact you will scare them off and develop a bad reputation.

#6 Don't be afraid of shooting men also. Some of the best women I have shot were contacts from men I shot. Many were not models but very well paying customers after seeing my work of their male friends.

#7 Hang some of your best work in your home. Interested people will see it and ask you to shoot them.

My first nude model was girl from Macedonia stuying in my town. Other girl I know indtroduced us. She wanted to have photographs of her being in Sarajevo, so we three met one day, wandering town, me photographing her almost ordinary touristic photographs, having coffe. So, sitting over cofee, she said if I need model she would be OK to work with me. I replied it is great, but currently I would like to try nude photographs, and she said no problem. And no problem was. She came to my place with hers female friend, we worked, they left. She got later few prints. We are still friends.

So, ask

Scott Davis

Here's another idea for you - if there is an art school near you, see if they have a figure photography course available. This is the best, easiest way to start a portfolio. The models are hand-delivered, their skill already proven, and you get to work with them in a structured, safe environment for all parties involved. It is a great way to start, because you end up with a portfolio at the end of the semester that not only has some depth to it, but has been edited and critiqued and refined. You'll have more opportunity to work with multiple models over the semester than you will on your own time if you try to find them yourself.

I donn't know the best way, but I can definitely tell you the worst way -- marrying them!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I started with friends, which lead to a portfolio, which then lead to models wanting to work with me.... it turned out to be very easy in the end... I recommend you get references from every model along the way... models talk to each other and recommend the good, reliable and ethical photographers...

You can see my profile here
    and my nude photography here

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

If you live in a small college town, talk to the art teacher there or anyone who teaches figure drawing or "life drawing" at the local art school. They are sure to have a roster of professional artist models.

Also, be sure to give your models a private place to dress and undress and a chair nearby to put their robe and shoes.