Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie chooses Foma 200- which chemicals?

Re: Newbie chooses Foma 200- which chemicals?

Thanks to everyone. Well you all convinced me to start with arista 100 instead of 200 and HC 110 dilution B. I'll be developing in a HP combi tank.
    This link is to a little chart on the kodak site "Help in selecting developers" http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...electing.jhtml

Ron Miller

Zack,

Since I'm using Arista Ultra EDU with HC110 and getting results I really like, I'll pass on a few notes:

1. Don't pick a dilution that requires you use less then 6ml of HC110 with your setup. I use the Combi tank as well and I believe I make up 1100ml to fill it.
    2. I use dilution H and stand development. Dilution H is just 1/2 of dilution B's syrup (1:63 instead of 1:31) added to the water to make up the same volume.
    3. With Dilution H, I agitate (using inversion) for the first minute - not agressively at all. Then every 3 minutes after that.
    4. Never pick a development time with HC110 that is less then 5 minutes.
    5. Make sure you calculate how much HC110 syrup (straight from the U.S. bottle) you will need based on how much you're making up for the Combi.
    6. My Combi leaks when I invert to agitate. So I spent 20 minututes before I started developing to try to figure out how to hold it during inversion so it would not leak. Which is also why I make sure I make up enough developer to fill it up completely. If yours does not leak, ignore this.
    7. My Combi at times also takes up to 45 seconds to completely pour in liquids. making sure the spou is turned 1/4 is necessary and it also may be necessary to push slightly on the spout sideways which lets air escape frm the tank while your filling it which IS the problem.

Here's a good page on HC110.
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html

Zack....which chemicals?

Why Developer, perhaps a stop, fix and hypo-clear. :-)

Forgive me Zack, I just couldn't help myself.

You've received some great advice here, and I'm sure if you ask 50 photographers you will likely get 20+ answers.

Enjoy your 4x5, have fun and keep asking questions :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    With less aggressive agitation, as with a deep tank or slosher tray, for example I would expect D-76 and HC-110 dil. B to give very nearly the same results.
    For about 5 years, I only used HC110 dilution B, developing sheet film in trays. It doesn't give nearly the same results if density and contrast are matched with D76, at least it doesn't if you enlarge enough to see some grain. This isn't surprising, as HC110 is generally considered an acutance developer, whereas D76 is not. In any case if interested, people should run their own tests. Both are good developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    For about 5 years, I only used HC110 dilution B, developing sheet film in trays. It doesn't give nearly the same results if density and contrast are matched with D76, at least it doesn't if you enlarge enough to see some grain. This isn't surprising, as HC110 is generally considered an acutance developer, whereas D76 is not. In any case if interested, people should run their own tests. Both are good developers.
    Well, That is very contrary to my experience (but, I never have developed film in trays). It also contradicts Kodak's literature. Kodak compares HC-110 dil. B to D-76 as follows: HC-110 gives slightly finer grain than D-76 and slightly less acutance. Covington Innovations also clearly state this in their highly regarded exposition on HC-110.

But, I do agree that they are both excellent products and that folks should do their own tests. The differences between the two are generally slight.

I've read up quite a lot about these films. I mix my own Metol based developer so I'm no help there but the best advice seems to be use a water stop bath and a neutral or a non acid fixer. 200 iso@100 iso is how I use the 200.
    Pete

Thanks all ,and thanks again Gevalia, great info on http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html
    Regards, Zack