Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Portrait Thread - August 08

Re: New Portrait Thread - August 08

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I really do like the shot. The expression and focusing is great. The bottom left corner is a little distracting Nathan, whether it's a towel or bra or just bright white....
    Thanks, yes that little white blob wasnt quite as noticable on the ground glass.. but the pola shows a bit more of it... I will have to be more careful when using 55 as the neg shows more than the print....
    The white blob was her top rolled down.. this was taken in the garden.. I have been trying to get her in the studio for ages but either she hasnt got the time, or I am fully booked up, but last night the light was so nice that I had to take a shot..

Very nice! I really like the tone of her skin.
    Have you tried to burn the lower left a stop or two just see the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan67 View Post
    Hi Everbody
    My first post on this forum.. here is a shot I did yesterday of the Mrs..
    Crown Graphic with Polaroid type 55, scan of negative, Lens: Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7, shot wide open at 1/25 , focused on ground glass, natural light with gold reflector held above and slightly to the side of the camera...
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Anyway, this is my Olympic Rowing photo....

Very cool! That looks like a great place to shoot.
    Too few of those left here these days

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Thanks, No, this is just a straight scan from the neg.. but I am probably going to print this and in which case I will without doubt burn in that left corner.
    Glad you liked the tones... I scanned in colour and left a warm tone to it.. in addition, the gold reflector gives really nice skin tones when shooting in black and white film in my experience.
    Regards, Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Milano Italy 5X7 Wisner/305 G Claron...existing light. Background diffused in printing.
    Donald, did you manipulate the background in PS?

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Donald, did you manipulate the background in PS?

Domenico,

No I manipulated the background while enlarging. I produced a series of three masks with ortho lith film to isolate the background during one exposure (man) and isolate the fellow from the background in the second exposure. This second mask was printed in register with the camera negative and an unsharp mask. Diffusion was added during this second (background) exposure.

Thus there are three masks and two exposures. The first exposure is the camera negative in pin register with the mask that allows light through the camera negative on the man's face and figure. Then the second exposure is of the alternate mask (blocks light from coming through the negative in the area on the man), the camera negative and an unsharp mask to blend the demarcation that exists between the two masks and exposures. This second sandwich of camera negative and two masks is combined with diffusion material and diffuses the background.

This process requires pin registration on the enlarger, negative carrier, camera negative, and masks.

Hope that explains the process.

Kirk & Carmen

A new 2 me Kodak of England 6.5X8.5 Model 2B. I used the military Cooke 14" f5.6 Aviar for this. Eastman Aerial Recon Tri X film at asa 250 indicated f16.

8X10 ambrotype on clear glass taken with a Dallmeyer 4B
    I had to praise my son for sitting still for 8 seconds....
    That way, he 'might' sit for me again...

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    The image is wonderful as shot. Don't change a thing. Its what is called a happy accident. I dont find it distracting in the most. On the contrary, it enhances the image.

Quote Originally Posted by George Kara View Post
    The image is wonderful as shot. Don't change a thing. Its what is called a happy accident. I dont find it distracting in the most. On the contrary, it enhances the image.
    Indeed it is very intriguing at the same time as it is distracting.
    You can't help but look and wonder, given the style and subject of the photograph.
    That adds an element to the photograph, but by the very nature of doing that, it steals some of the attention from his very lovely wife's eyes. Is that better or worse? Neither, just a different way of seeing and feeling the image.

I was just wondering if Nathan looked at both versions and if so why he felt one was better visually than the other or which evoked the reaction he wished it too.

Labour intensive, perhaps a little A.R., but when I really like an image, I use older or odd paper that is trailing about and print it a few different ways, pin (literally) the two or three finalists to the wall and digest them for a week or two before cracking out the paper emulsion best suited for the image and making a final.

Ansel would no doubt smack me in the head at the very thought of it all, he would have have perfectly visualized the outcome for the picture as he clicked the shutter.