Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Posting on APUG & LFPF

Cross Posting on APUG & LFPF

I'm posting this after contact & response with moderators & people respected on both Forums.

The recent spate of Cross posting the same Post on both Forums has become a total farce. They are quite different Forum but with a very large common membership. Either post a new question on one Forum or the other, which ever is most appropriate.

We don't want to see, read & answer your posts twice. Many people deliberately use different nick-names on the two Forums but they are so transparent and obvious, and it just makes you look idiots.

I'm not saying don't post a question on both, just post on one first, if you don't get your answer then post a day or so later on the other. Same goes for selling items & wanted posts.

At the moment it's just polluting both Forum, and it is ONLY done by photographers who are members of both.

If it persists the best option is that the two Forum amalgamate.

Ian

Re: Cross Posting on APUG & LFPF

Some thoughts (assuming this is a serious post?):

Since I don't look at APUG often I was not really aware of this issue, but I'm not sure what harm is done. Could you explain that further?

There is some cross posting between here and Luminous Landscape also. When I see the odd thread started there that would better be answered here, I suggest that to them. And vice versa too.

The two forums could not be merged (were you joking? I couldn't tell), as we have a much more inclusive perspective when it comes to digital here.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm just tickled that this was cross-posted to both forums by someone with a different username on both sites.

Jeremy - you are the master of cross posting to the wrong Continent !!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Remember that Nikon fit Tamron lens . . . . . . .

There is a serious side, it's high time the two Forum were amalgamated, Kirks a Git

Joking apart, they are two separate forum, I'd prefer them that way, but unless the moderators from both Forum are prepared to stop the almost spam cross postings they should think hard about amalgamation instead.

ian

I understand the point of this post and I agree to a point, however when I look at APUG it is for different thing than at LFPF. No offense to APUG, but for largeformat related discussion the number of active people here far outnumbers that of APUG. If I am looking for info on film processing/darkroom work and such I will likely look here and there. While there is some discussion of processing/darkroom type stuff here (with some GREAT information) there is a larger (or at least different) pool of knowledge at APUG. So I guess I would say that for largeformat stuff (i.e. gear) people are really better off just posting here. I can see a reason for cross posting about other topics though.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Jeremy - you are the master of cross posting to the wrong Continent !!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Remember that Nikon fit Tamron lens . . . . . . .
    Ian, I thought of that when I hit the submit reply button! Glad to see you took my lighthearted post in the jocular manner it was intended

Why does that bothers you so much?

How do you propose to amalgamate the 2 forums?

3d Visual Effects artist

posting the same question in multiple forums is quite common in all types of forums. I know it happens alot on the car/racing forums I'm apart of as well. Not everyone reads all the forums, most forums have their core group of people, and then a group that views both (or all) the forums. If someone wants to reach everyone, posting in other forums as well is the best way. If I'm not interested in the post and I see it in another forum, I just don't click on it. Pretty simple enough :-) I don't read APUG often, so I'm one that would benefit (or be able to help answer) a question that originated on APUG and was then re-posted here on LF.

Combining the two forums would be pointless I think, as most likely they have two different personalities as a whole. Assuming that the owners of both forums would even be willing to do so. Their two different forums, for one, APUG requires different types of registration (paid I believe?) to view images and other things (I think?) and it has advertisements. the LF forum doesn't, which is why I'm usually looking over here instead of there. Nothing against APUG at all, I just prefer viewing a site that I know everyone is even (nobody has more privileges than others) and no advertising banners.

Doesn't bother me.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I have to agree with Ian. It is just plain annoying when people simultaneously post identically both here and at APUG. You have to recognize that many folks participate in both fora.

Well, you could post in APUG "see my answer on LFPF" and post here "see my answer at APUG" ...

-Darren