Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Flooring? Suggestions?

Zebra

Darkroom Flooring? Suggestions?

I have a room in our new house that will allow me to have my first dedicated darkroom--so cool ya know? Anyway the room had nasty on top of nasty carpet in the room that had to be yanked out. Now I have a wood sub floor waiting for a good floor to be added on top that will work well with its intended purpose of being a darkroom. The room is about 12 x 18 feet if that plays a role in your suggestions.

Thoughts and suggestions please. Although spending others money is one of lifes great joys it should be said I don't have much for you to spend so if its all the same keep the suggestions to middlin' to fair and we should be good.

Thanks in advance,

Monty

Re: Darkroom Flooring? Suggestions?

Linoleum or some other such surface for easy clean up and liquid resistance plus good quality rubber matting like they have in perforated interlocking squares for schools, labs, work sites, etc. for your sink and enlarger floor stations to ease stress on feet and legs. They just pick up so are easy to clean and to get to spills.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Having worked on many different surfaces, I have found the best for my personal tastes and comfort is the dollar store one foot square foam interlocking squares meant for the play room to protect baby from smacking her head.

They clean up well, there are about 3/8 of padding and lock into place and stay put. You buy and lay them down as you go, locally, they are a dollar a square, do the area in front the enlarger and the sink first, keep moving until the room is completed. They come in deep blue, yellow, red and black. If I may, I suggest the black ones.

My apologies Lenser, I opened the window and made a tea before posting and did not see you suggesting the very same thing.

Allen, That's one of the beauties of this site....sharing experience and offering it on to each other. I had forgotten that this product was available at the dollar stores, so thanks for adding that in. Hopefully, we've both been helpful to Monty.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I have a cork floor. It came in 3 foot wide rolls and was glued down and covered with poly urethane. 30 years and still good. Spills are not a problem and a bit of cushioning on the feet for long standing.
    Regards
    Bill

I have industrial grade sheet vinyl - pretty much the modern version of linoleum. It's waterproof, chemical resistant and hard wearing.

Poured acrylic. Run it up around the edges of the room too, so you turn the floor into a nice sort of bowl. So that when you spill something it's easier to wash it down your floor drain. You do have a floor drain in this new darkroom don't you? If not, seriously consider it. Saved my tail more than once

If you do use poured acrylic, get your vendor to add some sand to the mix to make a non-slip floor. Much safer in a room where the floor can get wet and stay wet while you are walking on it in the dark (so you don't see that it's wet).

Bruce Watson

Sheet vinyl/linoleum with the interlocking matts to save wear/tear on the feet/legs and back. It's what was in my darkroom when the water heater went and flooded. Best advice I can offer beyond that, if possible, add a floor drain (wished I had) it will save many headaches.

Congtratulations on the new DR, Monty can't wait to see what comes from it.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Zebra

Thanks all! Everyone has indeed been very helpful. That is why I love this forum--t never fails to come through.

Mike and Bruce the floor drain is a fabulous idea and I will look into that immediately. Mike I hope to finally have a place that things are readily available to work on short notice as is the case with my travel schedule. Nothing killed the creative juices more than thinking about getting all the picnic tables out, then the trays,then waiting until dark etc etc.

It's an exciting time. Thanks to all again for taking the time to respond.

Monty