Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posting Larger Images

Re: Posting Larger Images

Judging from the lovely sample above, one question that arises, is whether your system at home - or at the library - is calibrated/profiled. You can get a clue by viewing this image, and others like it.

If not, then whether people see your image as you intend, is a matter of chance. If your system is calibrated, then at least those of us with calibrated systems, will be able to appreciate the richness and nuances.

thanks for the link John, I always wondered how you guys did that bold, etc stuff. Now I knowerik

Thanks for the input, John and Ken. I've added two of the links you've provided to use for later reference.

I'm still at the novice stage when it comes to posting photos on the internet. My first-ever photo posting from scans was about a month ago. I have a Epson 3200 Pro, with updated downloads of Silverfast Ai Ver 6.0, Photoshop Album 2.0, Photoshop 5.5. and PictureIt.

I find myself relying on the updated Epson software that came with the scanner as my main means of getting things done. I use the professional mode and do further changes in Microsoft PictureIt.

I have made the effort to calibrate my monitor, but am having trouble getting anywhere with it. On the monitor itself, the only two relevant adjustments I'm seeing, and that I can use to calibrate, are contrast and brightness. Much to learn with all this. As with learning the technical side of sentence structure in my High School English classes, I'm also something of a stubborn mule when it comes to learning the technical side of digital and computer related imaging. Some foot dragging going on here.

The images in the links look good to me, so it seems to me that my monitor settings are at least in the ballpark. But, no doubt, there is room for improvement.

And I'm seeing another thread with recent activity on making images look good that I should revisit.

Thanks again for the help.

To calibrate your monitor, you need a tool. It attaches to your monitor temporarily, and driven by the accompanying software, reads a set of colors. Depending on what your monitor emits, it writes a series of corrections to the lookup table on your graphics card, in the form of a profile which can be named and dated. Monitors drift over time, so professionals who rely on accurate color and brightness levels, calibrate their monitors often. Imagine a musician who didn't tune the instrument regularly... ouch.

I have found ChromiX to be an excellent and tirelessly patient resource, for purchase and troubleshooting of all kinds of color-related issues, including printing and printer profiles, choice of monitors, etc.

On another note: you need to know that by default, web browsers presume that your photos were made in the sRGB color space. If you make your images in another color space, or none at all, then your'e back to the sound of the musician who doesn't tune the instrument according to a standard pitch... surprise !

When using my Epson 4990, I prefer the Epson software over others. However, for other scanners, I have found VueScan to be the best. It varies.

Thanks much, Ken, for the additional info. I'll definately give the ChromiX a good look.

That's also a good analogy on using the comparison of a musician needing to tune their instrument.

I'm learning...it appears to work. JY