Thread: Convert to 5x4 enlarger

Convert to 5x4 enlarger

Hi,
    Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of this so I'll know if its possible. I have Durst M670VC enlarger which only goes to 6cm x 9cm for enlarging negs. These days I am doing much more 5x4 work and was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to upgrade a medium format enlarger to take 5x4 negs. I was looking at my enlarger head and it seems possible to remove the diffuser head and other parts from the lighting source. Any information you have would be great. Thanks. David.

W K Longcor

Re: Convert to 5x4 enlarger

I guess anything is possible. But that sounds like a lot of work to come up with a makeshift unit. With so many (non-LF) people going to total computerized photography - there lots 4x5 enlargers on the market - cheap! If you don't want to go EBAY - check your local classified ads. Bet there will be one there eventually.

I converted a 4x5 to 5x7 and a friend of mine converted a med. Format to 4x5. It works but because of trade offs, it isn’t worth it. One, you have to purchase a larger light source. Two, you have to deal with bellows extension issues because larger formats require longer lenses. Finally, you have to create a negative carrier solution, which can be tricky.

You are better off buying a used enlarger in the size you need.

Jerome

Omega D2s are practically give-aways these days. Lesser known Federal and Solars are give-aways. It is likely far more economical to just add another enlarger to the fleet!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You don't say where you are Dave, but in the UK 5x4 enlargers are very cheap second hand, many pro labs can't sell them so throw them out.

I gave mine away 18th months ago to a member of this forum. So ask around.

Ian

Unhappy Re: Convert to 5x4 enlarger

Hi, Thanks for the replies but while cheap 4x5 enlargers are the case in the US (I have jealously looked at the nice prices on eBay!) I live in Ireland and unfortunately they are rare here, meaning that there none available 2nd hand and new one cost over 1,000euro. This was probably my main reason for starting to look at other options I guess.

Dave,

Keep looking.

I got my Beseler for free (for the cost of a trip to York, I live in the south), and I paid £200 for a 10x10 enlarger that I ended up stripping bare (I only kept the bellows and Dichroic head).

For the cost of an Irish enlarger you could get one from mainland for pennies and have a road trip too

Dave, a trip to the UK's not that expensive to pick one up.

There will be some in Ireland it's knowing where to look. There's a very lively bunch of Irish members on APUG, you might try contacting them.

Ian

I made a search and found this thread talking about finding 4x5 enlargers in Ireland.

Maybe it can be of use.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum237/...-enlarger.html