Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JOBO Expert drum question

Re: JOBO Expert drum question

BradS confimed my experience. I will admit to using a large (1 liter) funnel with an attached tube to pour in the developer and stop rinse with the tank turning. Those are the only two liquids where timing is important. However, it's kind of messy if I let the fluids run too fast. Slowing the flow to avoid spilling makes filling take longer. So, tonight probably, I will experiment with tilting the drum filling procedure and then tossing it on the motor base. I already tilt the drum in the sink for filling with fix and wash water. I do use a small funnel for that and it works well. All things considered, the Jobo Expert drum is one of the best pieces of gear I've ever used.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    These look interesting for doing a few sheets at a time. I have no experience using a Jobo Expert Drum - but do have a couple of questions. If you had the minimum equipment - just the drum and a set of rollers could someone explain?

1. How many revolutions per minute do they need to be turned? Do you change direction? How often? Is this important to control, or does it just need to be random?

2. How do you put the chemistry in the drum? How do you drain them? Do you need funnels, or tubing?

Thanks-
    I have used a 3006 and a 3010 for years on the $25 Jobo roller base. I spoke to a Jobo tech who recommended 50 rpm and reversing direction every 2.5 turns. I often turn it about 30 rpm with no ill effects. The Jobo website specifies a minimum of 210ml, the Jobo tech to whom I spoke said I should use at least 300ml; that is what I normally use and results have always been excellent.

I use a small funnel and fill it when stationary and tilted at an angle, because with 300-450ml, the range I normally use, it drains and fills in 15-20 seconds. I always use a dev. time of at least 7 min, and am consistent with timing when I start filling and draining. To drain just pour out.

It's a pleasure to use.

Cool Re: JOBO Expert drum question

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    ...I use a small funnel and fill it when stationary and tilted at an angle, because with 300-450ml, the range I normally use, it drains and fills in 15-20 seconds. I always use a dev. time of at least 7 min, and am consistent with timing when I start filling and draining. To drain just pour out.

It's a pleasure to use.
    Ron, and anyone else:

Since the developer timing is the only one that is critical, exactly how do you time your developer and when do you pur in the stop bath/rinse?

For example, given a 10 minute developing time.

Start timer, pour developer, start rotation. That's easy enough.

At the 10 minute mark do you: Drain developer or do you drain before the 10 minute mark and pour the stop bath/rinse exactly at 10 minutes?

Am I clear? I'm new to the Jobo tanks and curious about the timing.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Ron, and anyone else:

Since the developer timing is the only one that is critical, exactly how do you time your developer and when do you pur in the stop bath/rinse?

For example, given a 10 minute developing time.

Start timer, pour developer, start rotation. That's easy enough.

At the 10 minute mark do you: Drain developer or do you drain before the 10 minute mark and pour the stop bath/rinse exactly at 10 minutes?

Am I clear? I'm new to the Jobo tanks and curious about the timing.
    I begin to drain about 10 seconds before time is up. I rinse five times for 10 sec. each with water, instead of stop, and use a basic fixer.

When you begin to fill/drain is much less important than being consistent with your proceedures; then once you do film speed and N-development tests and have everything dialed in, it will stay that way.

I fill the drum , place it on the rotating motor base and start the timer. When the timer goes off, I empty the drum and re-fill with stop. As Ron pointed out, I don't think it matters at all what you do as long as you are consistent.

Thanks Ron & Brad. I did just that last night with Ilford HP5+, 400ml Xtol, 1:3 for 12:15 in my Jobo Expert 3010. The negatives look very nice to my novice eye. Scanning tomorrow night.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Like many, I have no space for a jobo machine in my current darkroom and use the roller base too.

As Ron mentioned, consistency is the only rule.
    I plan on 15 seconds to fill, and can do it with 400ml of dev. no problems and spill none, or next to none. I plan on 15 seconds to drain and begin to add stop bath too.

I find this to be a big help, I add as the drum spins.