Thread: Cone K7 Piezography with Epson 2200

Cone K7 Piezography with Epson 2200

Perhaps someone could give me some advice. I currently have two Epson printers, a 3800 and an older 2200. I have been using the 2200 with a K7 Piezograpy ink set from Cone. These were pre-filled cartridges that I purchased as a set and installed in place of the Epson inks. I see that the pre-filled cartridges are no longer sold and the choice is these 4 oz bottles of pigment ink.

How does this work? Is the pigment ink in the bottles used to re-fill the cartridges, or do I need to set up some kind of continuos flow system.

I am not concerned with ink costs as I will be using the printer primarily to print digital negatives.

Sandy King

Re: Cone K7 Piezography with Epson 2200

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Perhaps someone could give me some advice. I currently have two Epson printers, a 3800 and an older 2200. I have been using the 2200 with a K7 Piezograpy ink set from Cone. These were pre-filled cartridges that I purchased as a set and installed in place of the Epson inks. I see that the pre-filled cartridges are no longer sold and the choice is these 4 oz bottles of pigment ink.

How does this work? Is the pigment ink in the bottles used to re-fill the cartridges, or do I need to set up some kind of continuos flow system.

I am not concerned with ink costs as I will be using the printer primarily to print digital negatives.

Sandy King
    I was using the same set-up. Inkjetmall sells a CIS for the 2200.

It may be possible to refill the cartridges, I don't know. You would of course need a chip re-setter.

I will be buying a new printer soon, otherwise I would have the CIS for my 2200.

You do need a CIS and bottles of ink. If you are receiving email from Inkjet Mall/Jon Cone you may have seen the special 20% off on bottled inks through the end of August.

I am also facing the choice of going with CIS and Piezogrophy bottled inks or a new printer. I have been out of Piezo cartridges for a few months and have not yet decided which way to go. If I already had a good work flow for digital negatives on the 2200 I would be very tempted to stick with that printer and Piezo inks.
    Ben

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Sandy,
    Years ago, I tried the ink (and CIS) system from MIS Associates (check inksupply.com) with good results, specially BW. After 100's of prints I can not recommend the CIS because of the mechanical and functional stress to the printer's head. I used to order black ink and clear base stock and mix the inks myself.
    Armando

Hi Sandy,

At work we're in exactly the same position as you. At home, I have an InkRepublic CIS in my R2400, and it works fine, but it's a little expensive. Paul Roark (www.paulroark.com) is using an Ebay CIS in his 2200 with his Carbon-6 or Eboni-6 inksets, and he says that it works fine. There are some on Ebay for around $30, and they look pretty good. They come with dampers, which are better than cartridges...

I'll probably be buying one for work soon, and I can report on how well it works.

Sandy, as Ben says, yes you need a Continuous Ink (flow) System. If you were happy with the Cone inks you can get the CIS etc. from him. There are other sources though. I'm in the midst of replacing my 1280 (RIP) with a 1400 and CIS from Cone.