Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A fun outing on Vancouver Island.

Re: A fun outing on Vancouver Island.

If you want to shoot forest shots, you might go north to Cathedral Grove -- it's pretty spectacular, and easy to get to. Go to Qualicum Beach, then left onto Highway 4.

In Victoria, you might want to try finding the Gonzales weather observatory, way up on the hills overlooking Dallas Road. The view is terrific. To find the road, look for Denison on your city map -- it's not well marked. It's off Fairfield Road going east, away from downtown.

Mark, would you be willing to do something on the august 18 or 19? I will be leaving the island again around the 20th.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wilkes View Post
    In Victoria, you might want to try finding the Gonzales weather observatory, way up on the hills overlooking Dallas Road. The view is terrific. To find the road, look for Denison on your city map -- it's not well marked. It's off Fairfield Road going east, away from downtown.

Heh, Don, I've been meaning to try to make it up there all year, and I've even biked past it numerous times but have never managed (or I guess tried that hard) to find the right road.

Princess Marguerite

I used to take the long voyage to Victoria from Seattle and it was very enjoyable, dinner or lunch on the ship, a state room for my girlfriend, now wife, those were the days.

Yes, those were the days! I was on the last Victoria to Seattle voyage of that beautiful ship. There is still the Coho from Port Angeles, but surely not as elegant as the Marguerite.

Oh yes, the Coho, Red Ball Line, it's a nice ship too but the older ships were something to behold, I wish everyone could have the experience of a slower ship in the old manner of sailing.

Turner, I agree. You have no idea how sad that last voyage was on the Princess Marguerite, you could feel the depression of the staff and crew. I had been on before, and never thought it would not be there for my next voyage. I had discovered the Coho years before, but the Marguerite was special. The M.V. Coho is the Black Ball Transport out of Port Angeles. Glad you had the good experience, the Inner Harbor calls!

Merg, that's right the Black Ball Line, I haven't been on it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wilkes View Post
    If you want to shoot forest shots, you might go north to Cathedral Grove -- it's pretty spectacular, and easy to get to. Go to Qualicum Beach, then left onto Highway 4.
    My part of the world. There are even nicer places up behind Cathedral Grove but some hiking is required. If strong you can do about 1000 meters vertical from Cameron Lake to get up on the back Mt Arrowsmith/Cokely for amazing views and terrain.

I'm busy fitting my KLR on/off road motorcycle for carrying my new Chamonix to places few can get to easily.

Anyone interested in this part of the world just PM me.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    My part of the world. There are even nicer places up behind Cathedral Grove but some hiking is required. If strong you can do about 1000 meters vertical from Cameron Lake to get up on the back Mt Arrowsmith/Cokely for amazing views and terrain.

I'm busy fitting my KLR on/off road motorcycle for carrying my new Chamonix to places few can get to easily.

Anyone interested in this part of the world just PM me.
    Sweet, I didn't know there were honest hikes like that on the island (I know there are difficult ones, like the west coast trail, just didn't realize there were high elevation ones). I grew up in the Canadian rockies and I'm pretty new to this whole sea level experience. I've seen the real mountains in the center of the island on google maps but didn't really believe in them until you said this.

I should be heading up there sometime in the next few months. Do you live in Port Alberni or something?