Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone in Manchester UK

Re: Anyone in Manchester UK

Marc makes some really good suggestions. But it does depend how much time you have - certainly Snowdonia would be fantastic as a (long) day trip: mountains, beaches, forests, valleys, a good bit of traditional Welsh culture, all in a fairly compact area. Portmeirion is a particular must-see.

At the very least Manchester has some very fine pubs, so I'm sure us hard-drinking photog types could recommend several!

Not to "diss" the Peak District by any means (!) but with limited time, the Lakes provide a more compact experience and I think the most picturesque landscapes in England. If you are driving yourself however, be aware than once off the main roads they can be narrow, steep and twisty (which just adds to the fun for someone used to driving on the right )...

If you fancy a walk and the weather is fine, the 3 mile stroll around Buttermere is a favourite (and level) one. Getting there via the Honister Pass is quite fun too... The area will be crowded as you are there in the middle of the summer holidays however which can be a pain - I always go in spring or autumn. I doubt Wordsworth would be feeling very "lonely as a cloud" these days...

Just remember that all that water in the lakes has to get there via the sky. Like they say, there is no such thing as bad weather: it just means that you have the wrong clothing on...

Have fun, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Bob,
    You going for photographic purposes? LF?

Thanks, it is a business trip but not for any of our photo lines.

Marc
    Saturday will be my first day there and will probably collapse around 15:00. Sunday I will have to meet others so would only have the morning. The rest of the time will be meetings.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Saturday will be my first day there and will probably collapse around 15:00. Sunday I will have to meet others so would only have the morning. The rest of the time will be meetings.
    Bob, I did PM you, did you get my message?

If you only have Sunday morning available, then I would not think that you would be able to see anything much outside of the City, which is not all that big. What kind of things would interest you?

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Bob, I did PM you, did you get my message?

If you only have Sunday morning available, then I would not think that you would be able to see anything much outside of the City, which is not all that big. What kind of things would interest you?
    Sorry, no. I did not get your message.

I would probably look for some historical places or museums. Hopefully I will have more trips there in the future but this one is almost all business and not too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    I would probably look for some historical places or museums. Hopefully I will have more trips there in the future but this one is almost all business and not too long.
    Museums:
    Manchester Museum on Oxford Road (Part of the University). Nice mixed collections. Loads(!!) of kids on weekends, though. No photography permitted IIRC, but I'm not sure any more.
    http://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/

Museum of Science and Industry in Castlefield. Brilliant if you want to have a look about the Engineering Heritage of the Northwest. Some really great collections and unusual buildings! Not sure about photography, though...
    http://www.msim.org.uk/

Imperial War Museum North
    Incredible modern building. Great viewing tower. to see Trafford Park, Salford, etc.
    Last time I went (a few years back) they made you sign a form that ytou were not photographing commercially.
    http://north.iwm.org.uk/

For historical places I'd suggest the NT sites I mentioned above. All within 20-30 minutes (by car) from the city centre.

Other places in town:
    Manchester cathedral is nice, if a little unspectacular.
    Some of the University buildings are worth a look.
    Sometimes you can get into the old Victoria Baths, but that requires some preparation with the trust. But they do allow photography in there! We had quite a couple of LF sessions in there a little while back. It may best be kept for a later visit and then allows for a setup with maybe a few more LF people.
    The Town Hall is also worth a look, and be it just for the statues of Joule and Dalton...
    Heaton Park is also quite interesting.

And dare I suggest that it may be worth visiting Liverpool for a little? Its about 35 mins on the train and has an intersting town centre. Just secure all your valuables before going!!!

Marc

Marc,

Thanks,

Bob