Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Manchester UK

Anyone in Manchester UK

Will be going there in a couple of weeks. What to see? What to do?

Re: Anyone in Manchester UK

I havent been to the city for ages, and dont know it well, but just go to the Peak District. Its right there, and is one of the loveliest areas of Britain, perhaps my favourite. Amazing scenery, and industrial history.

You could pop in and say hi to Ilford too!

Hi Bob

What dates? I live about 50 miles from there and there are a few folks in the UKLFPG who live even closer.

Pop in to the UKLFPG forum and make yourself known there, we also have a great tearoom appreciation sub-committee

http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    I havent been to the city for ages, and dont know it well, but just go to the Peak District. Its right there, and is one of the loveliest areas of Britain, perhaps my favourite. Amazing scenery, and industrial history.

You could pop in and say hi to Ilford too!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Hi Bob

What dates? I live about 50 miles from there and there are a few folks in the UKLFPG who live even closer.

Pop in to the UKLFPG forum and make yourself known there, we also have a great tearoom appreciation sub-committee

http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/
    Will arrive on the 16th and have the weekend for looking around. Go back on the 20th.

Vanannan

Hi Bob
    Take a brolly
    Good luck.
    Regards
    Tony

and take a trip into the Peak District

Very close to Manchester and a wonderful landscape . . . . .

Ian

Just delurking as I'm a Manchester lad.

I'd suggest a trip to the Quays - the Imperial War Museum North is there, worth a look inside and very photographable on the outside. Just over the bridge is the Lowry where the National Portrait Gallery's 2007 Photography prize winners are currently on display.

There's a major Gustav Klimt exhibition on at the Tate Liverpool, if you have time to make it over there. It's the European Capital of Culture 2008, so there's lots on.

I'd second - or third - the Peak District if you want to see some countryside, but you would need your own transportation really. Other than that it depends a lot on what your interests are. Feel free to PM me if there's anything else you'd like to know.

David

Thanks, looks like the Peak District is a good choice.

Bob,

The Peaks are OK, I guess...
    If you have the weekend, I'd suggest going up to the lakes, though. Only about an hours drive (OK, maybe an hour and a half). I prefer them to the Peaks, but that may be just personal preference..

You going for photographic purposes? LF?
    Manchester itself has a few good places for that. Lyme Park in Disley, Tatton Park and Dunham Massey (all National Trust) are worth a look (although you may get hassled by the Park Wardens if you put up a tripod...). The University has a few nice buildings as well.
    There are a few monasteries, etc not too long a drive away (Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire, for example...)

And if you want to push it, you could even drive down to North Wales (Snowdonia).

I'll be probably be around in Manchester, if you want to meet up, hit a pub, discuss the advantages/disadvantages of LF over d*****l or such. I'm planning to go on holiday from that weekend on, but probably won't leave until Sunday or Monday anyway.
    I'm not native, but I've been here for 11 years, so I know the area a little

I think you should be able to email me via the forum, alternatively PM me here.

Marc