Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebony SW45 vs. Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB

Re: Ebony SW45 vs. Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB

Velvia 50 shot on a 4x5 is impressive -- But you might find that a 6x4.5cm digital back on a 4x5 is a huge pain in the ass (I think so). The scale of the film to the sensor size is so different that what is precise on a 4x5 scale is sloppy on the micro 6x4.5 scale.

You might do better getting a nice inexpensive 4x5 like the Shen, plus a top quality lens or two, and shoot only 4x5 film with that outfit. These packages sell for under $1500 and they hold their resale, unlike digital. Then you can see the differences between film and your DCB and decide what works best for the situations you want to photograph. You can always upgrade to an Ebony if you like 4x5.

If you insist on a 4x5 to also use for digital, then you really should be looking at compact cameras like the Linhof Technika 3000 (good for wide angles) and the Arca-Swiss F-series. Being a strong, precise metal cameras they are always going to be a more solid digital back platform than any of the wooden cameras, even the very nice Ebony.

If the image quality of the Leaf is satisfactory after you try 4x5 film, there are many other options for medium-format digital and film type cameras with shift, rise, and other view camera movements... search for Alpa, Silvestri, Cambo, and more. Many people use these along with their medium format SLR with their digital backs, especially with wider lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Velvia 50 shot on a 4x5 is impressive -- But you might find that a 6x4.5cm digital back on a 4x5 is a huge pain in the ass (I think so). The scale of the film to the sensor size is so different that what is precise on a 4x5 scale is sloppy on the micro 6x4.5 scale.

You might do better getting a nice inexpensive 4x5 like the Shen, plus a top quality lens or two, and shoot only 4x5 film with that outfit. These packages sell for under $1500 and they hold their resale, unlike digital. Then you can see the differences between film and your DCB and decide what works best for the situations you want to photograph. You can always upgrade to an Ebony if you like 4x5.

If you insist on a 4x5 to also use for digital, then you really should be looking at compact cameras like the Linhof Technika 3000 (good for wide angles) and the Arca-Swiss F-series. Being a strong, precise metal cameras they are always going to be a more solid digital back platform than any of the wooden cameras, even the very nice Ebony.

If the image quality of the Leaf is satisfactory after you try 4x5 film, there are many other options for medium-format digital and film type cameras with shift, rise, and other view camera movements... search for Alpa, Silvestri, Cambo, and more. Many people use these along with their medium format SLR with their digital backs, especially with wider lenses.
    Frank,

The scale of 4x5 (125mm x 100mm) is not much different from my 44mm x 33mm sensor when using it to stitch 120mm x 44mm as example. Diagonal of 125mm x 100mm is 160mm and of 120mm x 44mm is 128mm. My purpose will be to use wide angle lenses which have a large depth of field. Critical is thus the corresponding shallow depth of focus and this can complicate. Should a 4x5 camera not be capable of such fine focus, theoretically it seems it would be possible to use it for a rough focus, then to use e.g. Fotoman Helical Focus Mount for fine tune adjustments, thus focusing the lens similar to a 35mm lens. I never tried of course...

To be frank, I believe a metal camera is too heavy, especially if 4x5 (which is preferred for panoramic, and a requirment in order to be able to mount a sliding adapter). In comparison the Ebony and Shen-Hao I have mentioned have very rigid rear standards that only offer rise or fall as rear movements. Those are non folding cameras which makes them rigid. Please look at the designs of them. A mono rail camera if not designed for the weight of a digital back may well prove more flimsy, since its rear standard also permits tilt. The SW45 and TFC45-IIB are also wide angle cameras which assumably should help in focusing, or at least will enable lens movements also with wide lenses.

As for the Alpa, Silvestri, Cambo, etc, although designed for digital they do not permit sufficient movements for panoramic, nor (apart from new ones just announced) any shift or tilts. Also... I think $$$ will be more than the Ebony for such a system... and I am unsure if all of them work with traditional lenses.

With above... possible the cameras I have mentioned are the only options for me, if... at all it will work well.

It does seem film would be simpler, just insert into the 4x5 and one shot... unfortunate this world is very digital. Even when finding film and lab to process... a professional drum scan is not cheap for 6x7... 4x5 is larger...

Regards
    Anders

While I am sure there is somebody using 4x5 Ebony and Shen-Hao non-folders with digital backs, I think most photographers abandon them after experimentation in preference for something like the Cambo Wide RS with a sliding stitching back -- but just do a search and hang out on the Luminous Landscape medium format digital forum for confirmation.

While the diagonal of your stitched image is close to 4x5, you still have to focus and make movements for a good exposure on a 43x33mm chip. This is why, when you do see a medium format back on a view camera, you often see a geared movement type, like the Linhof M679. I think the coarser movements of the 4x5 field cameras will be unsatisfactory, at least for tilt and swing, but I haven't tried it either ;-) Good luck!

Frank's right about the difficulties with using a digital back. I occasionally use one on a Sinar P2, which is a really great geared film camera. For digital, though, it would be better if the geared movements were more precise, which is why, no doubt, that Sinar makes the P3. Using a digital back on a regular field camera would be quite the pain.

I think the Ebony SW45 is great for shooting film. Itīs small and lightweight and thatīs what i like about it.
    Using a MFDB on it - especially and also for stitching - is a pain somehow.

What about using your existing MF system, getting a RRS or Novoflex panorama head and a copy of PTGui software? Works great with 35mm DSLRīs and will also with your digital MF...