Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable + Sharp, analog lenses for digital

Affordable + Sharp, analog lenses for digital

Hi,

This is my first post here. I used to shoot Velvia on 135, but now primarily medium format Leaf digital back. Exploring the idea of 4x5, due view and different way of working please help me with following advises:

My purpose is to use 4x5 for flat stitch panoramas, thus using the full 5 inch width of 4x5. For such purpose, what are affordable yet very sharp analog lenses?

Of following I should perhaps choose 2; 58mm, 65mm, 75mm, 90mm. Any advises much sincerely appreciated!

I am looking at using on an Ebony SW45 or Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB, and posted question of these in another thread.

Yes, dont worry... of course I would be keen to use Velvia in it also... it is just different medias, but film a little difficult because I live overseas and on much travels, current Hong Kong. Yet the look of Velvia remains magic to me

Much thanks!

Regards
    Anders

Re: Affordable + Sharp, analog lenses for digital

Anders, Welcome. I am familiar with you from Luminous Landscape. As a starting point, you might want to define what affordable means to you.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Anders, Welcome. I am familiar with you from Luminous Landscape. As a starting point, you might want to define what affordable means to you.
    Kirk,

Much thanks, that is difficult to define. If it is too cheap it will be waste of money, so decent balance. I see the new traditional lenses still fetch decent on Ebay, any lesser priced alternatives, or which ones of those to go with? In the end I wish good detailed images, lets remember using medium format sensor on a larger format than the sensor itself, so digitar lenses are out(also because I not need such resolution).

I should say I too remember you from LL, and as someone indeed masterly capable at impressive photography!

Thanks

Regards
    Anders

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    My purpose is to use 4x5 for flat stitch panoramas, thus using the full 5 inch width of 4x5.
    If you don't mind, I'm going to question your premise... Why go to all the trouble of LF, only to give yourself even more trouble in Photoshop? Hand-stitching (which is what you'd have to do) 100+ megapixel images is not my idea of fun...

Besides, if you already know you want more real estate than 4x5, why stop at a hobbled-together 5x8 (or 5x10, or whatever)? Why not 8x10, or larger? It can't be weight, because you can get an 8x10 which weighs less than an Ebony 4x5.

Thanks Anders, here is an article by a member here that you may find useful:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Most all of the Large Format lenses from the "BIG 4" manufacturers: Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji and Nikon, made in the last 25 years are plenty sharp enough for your uses. Nikkor LF lenses, while discontinued a couple years ago, can still be readily found on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    If you don't mind, I'm going to question your premise... Why go to all the trouble of LF, only to give yourself even more trouble in Photoshop? Hand-stitching (which is what you'd have to do) 100+ megapixel images is not my idea of fun...

Besides, if you already know you want more real estate than 4x5, why stop at a hobbled-together 5x8 (or 5x10, or whatever)? Why not 8x10, or larger? It can't be weight, because you can get an 8x10 which weighs less than an Ebony 4x5.
    Stitching 4x5 isn't really that big of a deal and it works very well. It eliminates the need for a larger camera. One doesn't actually need to see the entire image on the ground glass as long as you know what you want to accomplish.

Good quality lenses work fine; there isn't any need for special 'digital' lenses in my experience. BTW 100+ megapixel files aren't a big deal either.

Don Bryant

Anders,

For such purpose, what are affordable yet very sharp analog lenses?
    Of following I should perhaps choose 2; 58mm, 65mm, 75mm, 90mm. Any advises much sincerely appreciated!
    I would choose a 90 mm and a 150 mm lenses. Any of the name lenses will work fine. I also stitch with my 75 mm SA though you can have problems with distortion. Experience will guide you.

Be prepared to do some cropping after stitching. Allow for that when you make your exposures. In short it isn't a perfect science but if you are flexible with your compositions it will work fine. IOW, don't crop extremely tightly.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    BTW 100+ megapixel files aren't a big deal either.
    It's not the size of the image that's problematic—it's trying to stitch an area that large... I can't imagine it would be much fun to do manually, and all the automated tools will either choke on files that large, or give a slight mismatch.

Just seems like a ton of work when you could just shoot with a larger camera...

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    It's not the size of the image that's problematic—it's trying to stitch an area that large... I can't imagine it would be much fun to do manually, and all the automated tools will either choke on files that large, or give a slight mismatch.

Just seems like a ton of work when you could just shoot with a larger camera...
    Hi

I made a trial stitch with my Mamiya 645 + 28mm on tripod, just rotating the base of ballhead with camera in portrait position. Subject was rather dark with some castles in a lake in India. The resulting image was around 120MP after cropping.

Dark image with lack of details, the wide angle lens and many frames must have been difficult for CS3, yet... it performed flawless on auto stitch setting .

Why then my interest in using a 4x5? Flat stiching + viewing of the image. Worth it?

Regards
    Anders