Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diafine and TMY-2

Re: Diafine and TMY-2

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    The Expert tank is ridiculously expensive, but it loads faster and easier and provides perfect development. I couldn't ask for more. I am a very happy camper.

The 2500 series tank will be relegated to 120 roll development.
    The 3010 was the best use of $270 I've ever made!

OK, a few minor variations on a theme but with excellent results...

I'm not claiming any credit for this except for the 1 variation I introduced, but I am wildly supporting the concept and the results as people have reported both in this thread and in the Sandy King article thread...

Over the past 2 days I have processed 3 batches of TMY-2 in Diafine with continuous agitation. I have scanned the negatives from the first 2 batches and I am absolutely pleased beyond belief. I exposed it for ASA 400, metered for the shadows, the highlights and incident and generally exposed based on combining the incident and the shadow (roughly a Zone 3).

I developed in a Jobo 2523 tank with the 6-sheet reel on a unicolor roller base, which reverses direction about every 15 seconds or so, after about 1.25 rotations of the tank.

The only change I made to the process Jim Cole described was to use a 4 min pre-soak and then full strength Solution A for 3 min, followed by Solution B 1:1 for 3 min. I used the pre-soak and the full strength Solution A because I found that it contributed to more even development and fewer air bubbles on the 4x5 film, and previously someone had observed that the results of the Solution A 1:1 and the use of a pre-soak followed by full strength Solution A were about the same.

I also included a few sheets of Arista EDU 100 in the mix in the same batch and the results there were equally great. I feel like the combination of the pre-soak, the Diafine and the continuous agitation from the roller base have eliminated my processing unevenness. And the negatives, even as high contrast as I get shooting down here in the Texas afternoon sun, are great for scanning.

Thanks to all who have experimented and reported on this.
    Last edited by wclavey; 10-Aug-2008 at 13:58. Reason: bad spelling

Cool Re: Diafine and TMY-2

OK, so I'm not going to give you my unopened box of Diafine just yet. Sounds like we need to have a TMY-2 and Modified Diafine vs. Xtol 1:3 Throwdown!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    OK, so I'm not going to give you my unopened box of Diafine just yet. Sounds like we need to have a TMY-2 and Modified Diafine vs. Xtol 1:3 Throwdown!

Bring it on!