Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "hand- picked" lenses

"hand- picked" lenses

I have seen used lenses for sale that are described as "hand-picked" by Linhof, or whomever, indicating that these lenses meet higher standards than off the she lf versions. Is this practice still in place anywhere? For instance, does Sinar test their rodenstocks, or just engrave the lens hood. I think I read of a lab t hat tested ten apo-sironar S lenses and found 2 that they felt were adequate for thier purposes. Thank you.

"hand- picked" lenses

Yes Linhof still tests. They use a Rodenstock Siwmens star projector and they re peat Rodenstock's QC tests. If a lens passes it is marked on the front or the rear ring with the Linhof name.

"hand- picked" lenses

Thank you, Bob. Any idea on Sinars practices?

"hand- picked" lenses

They also bought the Rodenstock test projector

"hand- picked" lenses

Well, Linhof sure is very proud of thier testing. A "linhof" 150mm N 5.6 Rodenstock is about $1500. more than an off the shelf 150mm N 5.6 (B+H) wow-wee.

"hand- picked" lenses

How did you determine the difference in costs?

Currently we offer to dealers a Linhof tested 150mm Apo Sironar N with a cam cut for it mounted on a 001016 Linhof recessed lensboard and with infinity stops and focus scale.

We sell to B&H a Rodenstock 150mm Apo Sironar N with front and rear caps and no lens board, no cam, no coupling, no infinity stops and no focus scale.

"hand- picked" lenses

On the B+H site, a rodenstock apo sironar N 240mm 5.6 copal 3 is $1349.00 The Linhof-tested rodenstock apo sironar N 240mm 5.6 copal 3 is $2926.00 a difference of $1577.00 The 150mm is double the cost for Linhof-tested vs straight Rodenstock. Cams and infinity stops and focus scales are wonderful, if you need them. Are these trinkets incorporated into the cost? If so, would thier value be deducted if you dont use a rangefinder and focus scale? If you're in the market for optics, surely they would have cams etc. as an accessories option.

"hand- picked" lenses

They are if they are offering the special and if so their price is far out of li ne if your quote is accurate.

Any professional camera store would sell the Linhof 159 Apo N special for many h undreds less then your quote.

As pointed out many times before their web site is not the most accurate.

"hand- picked" lenses

Sorry see you switched to the 240 for comparison from the 150.

The 240 is not on special. Only the 150

"hand- picked" lenses

I once bought a 165 Schneider Super Angulon for my 8x10" from SINAR/Schaffhausen. It may have been "hand picked" at least it had the SINAR name engraved on the front cell. I sent it back to Sinar and they sent it to Schneider and they both agreed it was OK. What I did not know was that the 165 Super Angulon was born a lousy lens and no one dould change that and when I had had the lens for some 14 years wthout using it I sold it to somone that knew wat he was buying for about one fifth of what i had paid for it. I now know that Schneider has made a mense by making a 150 Super Symar XL that costs only a little more than what I got for my old unused havy and unsharp 165 SA. The new lens is small sharp and 5,6 and much cheeper and was hand picked by LINHOF which means I bought it from them and they engraved their name on it. But lenses are like wifes: you better try to live with for a while before you make a commitme