Thread: hard or soft cases for ULF?

hard or soft cases for ULF?

My outfit consists of a 16x20 camera (33 lbs.), 3 filmholders (18 lbs.), a heavy-duty tripod (21 lbs.), and miscellaneous items (lens, darkcloth, etc.). Needless to say, I won't be backpacking. But I'd like to put the camera and holders in cases that can be wheeled around like airport luggage. I don't want to be restricted to "roadkill" (shooting from next to the car). Should I be looking at hard cases such as Pelican (caseman.com has a good selection in the required sizes) or soft cases such as Lightware (strebor.com can custom-make such cases in the required sizes)? Thanks in advance for any input.

I'd go with Lightware over a Pelican style case. The Lightware internal shell design absorbs shock while a hard rigid case doesn't . given enough pressure a rigid case will crack and then you have no protection. I have cases from Pelican, Lightware, Anvil and Zarges, and Zero-Halliburton. If I could afford it all of my cases would be Lightware cases. I say this based on sixteen years of use and abuse and travel. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, year in and year out they have been the the best value and the best defense for my cameras and lighting equipment. Give Lightware a call or an e-mail and discuss your needs with Paul Peregrine and say hello for me.

www.hairshirts.com

Another vote for Lightware. They have the best divider system in the industry.