Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canham Traditional

Canham Traditional

I would like to put a ruler/scale on my Canham.

I'm told the newer ones have them. If that is correct, where is it placed? I was thinking on top of the rail and measure the movement on the rear standard.

Any idea where I can buy a stick on scale?

Thanks......Mark

jetcode

Re: Canham Traditional

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sloane View Post

I'm told the newer ones have them. If that is correct, where is it placed? I was thinking on top of the rail and measure the movement on the rear standard.

Thanks......Mark
    I'd call Keith and ask him. I like his cameras. I had a 5x7 traditional wood.

Geos

His cameras look nice with the scale. Perhaps he will retrofit scales on your camera for a nominal cost. Give him a call.

I'd call him to double check his placement. Never thought to add a scale to my Canham Traditional.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Never thought to add a scale to my Canham Traditional.
    Walter,

I am fairly new to LF. For about a year now I've been using a Sinar F2 that has a scale of sorts on the focus knob to help determine the best DOF settings.

I was anticipating using a flat scale to measure my rear standard movement to help me figure out DOF.

If you don't have a scale do you just rough guess your adjustments until you see the desired results in the GG? I struggle to see the DOF when I stop down to f16 or more so I really like an additional method to give me confidence that I will have the right DOF when I trigger the shutter.

I guess I could use instant film but it seems like it is an added expense and time waster that could be compensated for by increasing my skill sets.

I bought my KBC in 1993. Keith sent me a scale on tape that is of excellent quality and is holding up very well. It is on the side of the inner focussing rail.

QT,

On my KBC Traditional the "inner focusing rail" is for the front standard. When you say "On the side of the inner focusing rail" do you mean the side facing the bellows or the side facing the permanent rail support on the bed? If the latter I guess there must be enough clearance to put a sticky tape on.

It's on the external side (the other way would make it more difficult to use), that is facing the permanent rail next to it. I previously used my own sticky tape, but Keith's was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sloane View Post

Thanks......Mark
    I don't know where to put one on the Canham, I've never owned a Canham, but I've put a mm ruler on every LF camera I've ever owned (9 or 10 of them). I cut them down and then attach them with Scotch tape, you don't really need a stick-on ruler. I've never had to replace the Scotch tape and in fact I've had trouble getting them off when I've sold a camera. Linhof Technikas are the easiest, the distance scale thingy is perfect for holding a ruler. All the others have been taped on the top of one of the front rails of the cameras (Tachihara, Ebony, Deardorff, etc.).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have the 8x10 Light Weight version. The scale goes on the top. I attached a few pics. The first Light Weight I got about 8 years ago had a plastic scale stuck on it. It started to peel off. The camera got stolen a few years ago and the replacement has the scale etched into it. I've never found any use for the scale but I'm sure someone will.