Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to choose a printer

Trying to choose a printer

I have several shows coming up this year and my skills using an inkjet printer are far more developed than my skills on the enlarger. So I plan to scan a few b&w 4x5's and print on either the Epson 3800 or the HP B9180. I am having a hard time justifying the cost of the Epson, but then I don't want to shoot myself the first time I want a print bigger than 13". I do not plan on printing in color at all. Much cheaper to let the lab do it.
    Anyone here with experience of one or both of these? Would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks

Re: Trying to choose a printer

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I have several shows coming up this year and my skills using an inkjet printer are far more developed than my skills on the enlarger. So I plan to scan a few b&w 4x5's and print on either the Epson 3800 or the HP B9180. I am having a hard time justifying the cost of the Epson, but then I don't want to shoot myself the first time I want a print bigger than 13". I do not plan on printing in color at all. Much cheaper to let the lab do it.
    Anyone here with experience of one or both of these? Would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks
    If you can afford the extra expense purchase the Epson 3800. It's definitly superior to the HP 9180 and is supported by QTR.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    If you can afford the extra expense purchase the Epson 3800. It's definitly superior to the HP 9180 and is supported by QTR.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant
    Same here.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I highly recommend the Epson 3800. Mine paid for itself in print sales within a few months of purchase. Once you start printing some 16x20's, you'll wonder why you ever considered a smaller printer. Big prints sell way better than small prints and a 17" carriage printer isn't even big these days.

Glenn Mellen

Main negative (from a personal standpoint) of both of these printers... no option for paper roll feeds. If you find yourself oft-times cropping to other-than-standard 16"x20" prints, having a machine that only uses sheet paper can be rather limiting to print sizes you can run. I've found roll feed machines invaluable.

I've owned four printers, all Epsons, the 1160, 1280, 2200, and now the 3800. All have been excellent printers, I've never had any clogging or other significant problems with any of them. Epson's customer service seems to be pretty good most of the time in my limited experience. Epson has been making printers for serious photographers for quite a while. HP is new at that market. I've never been tempted by any of the HP (or Canon) printers. I've never missed the lack of a roll paper feature on the 3800, when I crop to an odd size I just trim the paper.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I occasionally do panos on my 3800 and I have a roll of paper that I can cut for extra long sheets. I have some 17" X 38" sheets available for those relatively rare occasions. A roll feed is much more useful for production work where you're printing large jobs unattended.

I had a 9180 and sold it almost immediately when I found out the price of the cartridges. $30 plus per cartridge. I was so blown away by that pricing, I didn't even bother to see what the alternatives were.

My recollection from discussions on the Epson 3800 is that aside from the larger format, the larger ink cartridges and pricing bring the payback way down for the printer.

jetcode

Not to run contrary to Epson printer success (I've had mine with a pair of 2200) I really like the Canon ipf5100 and ipf6100 print quality and the price is right.

I'm also very pleased about/with the Canon 5100. Here in the Netherlands fairly cheap, price dropped gradually last few weeks to : 1400 euro's. Not as small as an Epson 3800 though...

I have the 5100 since february 08, seems to be reasonable frugal with inks, printed not much yet (according printer counter 15.6 m2/168.5 sq.f) 90% B&W, 10%color. Alle inks, except 2 are still at the initial level of 60% (canon supplies 90ml starters instead of the retail 130ml ones), only 2 grey ink cartridges have now dropped to 20%. I leave the printer always on standby, once a day it wakes up and does a nozzle check/clean. After longer periods of inactivity (I estimate 4 to 5 days) it does a nozzle check/clean right before it will print the file. Occasionally I've also seen it come shortly online and the display says than: checking Humidity/Temperature.

Warning: This machine is responsable for the fact that I closed the darkroom....