Thread: Performance of Shen Hau 6x17 Roll film back

Performance of Shen Hau 6x17 Roll film back

Will really appreciate those who have purchased the Shen Hau’s 6x17 roll film back in the past few months to write a note on its performance. Since most of us will be using extreme wide angle lenses with this back I’d especially want to hear anything regarding film flatness (and the flatness of the back itself when mounted on the camera) if any one has done any test on it.

There seem to be an updated model that looks slightly different than what was reviewed by Kerry Thahlmann a while ago. Moreover did you order it from the manufacturer/its Honk Kong’s dealer or the US importer?

All in all is it a clever decision to purchase the Shen Hau back rather than the $ 2000 Japanese version, or is it a waste of money? Hopefully I am not insulting any one reading this post.

Many thanks in advance

Just out of curiosity, why not just cut a 4x5 dark slide to the required dimensions and mark the ground glass with a pencil? Seems a lot of expense and trouble just so you can use roll film...

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

You cannot mask 4x5 inch to a 6x17 cm size. The closest you can do is 6x12 cm.

The Shen-Hao back allows you to shoot 6x17 cm format.

Good news! I have spoken to Robert White today and he DOES sell Shen Hao! So no need for us in the UK/Europe to deal direct with the factory in China. He stocks the cameras and the roll film backs (6x12 and 6x17) at excellent prices too - in fact don't know how he sells them so cheap! Matt (who works with Robert) has been out using the 6x17 roll film back on an Ebony view camera with a 90mm lens and is "pleasantly impressed" with the build/quality!! I have ordered a 6x17 film back and as soon as I get my grubby mits on it and put a few films through I will report back! The film back comes with the viewing back and comes in at well under £500 (including the dreaded VAT!).

I have recently purchased the Shen Hao 4x5 field camera and 6x17 roll back. Over Christmas and the New Year I had the chance to really test it for the first time and was very impressed with its performance and ease of use. I consider it a very good buy. I purchased my equipment directly from the manufacturer at quite a considerable saving (about $350 all up). I only have used one lens with the camera, a Schneider Super Angulon f8/90mm, which allows for no camera movements. By inserting a cheap plastic fresnel sheet on the inside of the ground glass, the image is easily bright enough to compose.

The 6x17 back has been slightly changed since it was reviewed by Kerry. The viewer ground glass attachement now only has a small bellows skirt that pulls out to help shade the ground glass (I never use this, just a darkcloth over my head) and no longer has the magnifying part. The film back only allows for 6x17 and 6x12 (by inserting two small blinds into the film back to reduce the image size. These cannot be inserted mid-roll). I shoot at F22 or F32 and the images appear to be pin sharp, so I assume the film is held quite flat inside the film back. I also use a 77mm B+W Polariser with 1.5 warmtone, which I'm very happy with as well.