Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Beech Grove Indiana

Re: Hello from Beech Grove Indiana

Nice work there. Welcome.

Isn't Beech Grove the home of a railroad car shop?

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hello P.

Thank you for the warm welcome

Hello Steve,
    I used to live in Beech Grove myself -- worked for Amtrack at the famous (infamous to the conspiracy theorists) train yards.

I'll be one of the campers at Spring Mill on the weekend of 8/15. Mike has already given you information on the campsites. If you (or anyone else) wants to join us, we have plenty of room for more tents. We try to bring prints and sometimes manage to share a video lecture or two. I'm bringing a a few LensWork DVDs to view.

We all shoot various formats on these outings - 4x5, 5x7,... I'll have my 8x10 along. If you can't swing this outing, maybe we meet up another time. There is usually one around the third weekend of the month and many ad-hoc outings most any time.

Cheers,
    Bill Riley

[QUOTE=Toyon;374647]Isn't Beech Grove the home of a railroad car shop?[/QUO

Hi Toyon,,, Yes Beech Grove Indiana has a huge train facility... As a young boy we'd all get together and jump trains ,, as we called it... The shops go back to 1903 ...

There has been rumors that the old shops will close someday... If they do I will have lots of fun photographing the interiors ...

Hello Sam,, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_4606 View Post
    Hello Steve,
    I used to live in Beech Grove myself -- worked for Amtrack at the famous (infamous to the conspiracy theorists) train yards.

I'll be one of the campers at Spring Mill on the weekend of 8/15. Mike has already given you information on the campsites. If you (or anyone else) wants to join us, we have plenty of room for more tents. We try to bring prints and sometimes manage to share a video lecture or two. I'm bringing a a few LensWork DVDs to view.

We all shoot various formats on these outings - 4x5, 5x7,... I'll have my 8x10 along. If you can't swing this outing, maybe we meet up another time. There is usually one around the third weekend of the month and many ad-hoc outings most any time.

Cheers,
    Bill Riley
    Hello Bill,, Yes, I've heard the conspiracy theories about prisoners being kept there..
    Funny,, they almost shut down the shops many times but for many years now there has been no mention of shutting their doors... Maybe it is a prison ,who knows...
    Beech Grove shops were owned by a fellow named Churchman and he lived next to the shops on Churchman Avenue... The Churchman mansion was a historic site and was linked to the Hanna house by underground railroad in slavery days...
    I know this personally because we played in a tunnel or two as kids..
    To make a long story short,,, the mansion was torn down and "Government housing" was built in it's place... Then the police station was built right next to the old graveyard also on Churchman property...
    There was never anymore mention of the Churchman mansion history as an underground railroad...
    I can see why there is conspiracy theorists ...

PS. Bill, thx for the invite to Springmill Park.. I may not be able to make it do to low finance s ...
    God ,, I can remember going to a RoadMaster concert there... It took all day to get in the gate and we lost out on half the show...
    I was pretty intoxicated and had a little gale 100 lbs soaking wet carry me out... Damn I wish I remembered more.. Those were the days my friend and I'm lucky I survived I guess.. hehe
    Yeah,,, yes we should get together sometime soon .... Do some 8x10 ing
    I've got 10- Fuji Velvia 50 new I wanna burn this fall around peak leaf time maybe..

PS. Bill, thx for the invite to Springmill Park.. I may not be able to make it do to low finance s ...
    God ,, I can remember going to a RoadMaster concert there... It took all day to get in the gate and we lost out on half the show...
    I was pretty intoxicated and had a little gale 100 lbs soaking wet carry me out... Damn I wish I remembered more.. Those were the days my friend and I'm lucky I survived I guess.. hehe
    Yeah,,, yes we should get together sometime soon .... Do some 8x10 ing
    I've got 10- Fuji Velvia 50 new I wanna burn this fall around peak leaf time maybe..