Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Toning" B&W Images Using Color Paper

"Toning" B&W Images Using Color Paper

Oh yes, one other thing. The gamma of colour negatives is very low, so normal B&W negs are going to give you very contrasty results, unless you pull their development. Or, you might try a low contrast/low saturation colour print material, such as Kodak sell for wedding and portrait use.

Just thought I'd add this, we usually send our mural lab a 4x5 TMX neg., which they bump up to 8x10 on dupe film (not color neg). If I had to make an 8x15 foot sepia tone mural, I think I'd do it this way as well. I don't think Ilford makes XP1 (it was always the old emulsion) in 4x5 anymore, but it was really nice in that size for certain things. It has that same base as the roll films have. I was really amazed when we had them match a pantone color. They nailed it dead on, I guess that's what makes them such a good lab.

Because colours like brown and sepia doesn't exist as spectral colours, it can be very hard to achieve these by just using yellow/magenta filtraton. One way could be to make a filter, eg. by exposing a film of the desired colour, and use it in the enlarger between the film and lightsource. Anyway this would help to get a more concistent flow in the printing routine.

John, I do a good deal of this at work. First off you need a mask... a simple de veloped but not exposed piece of film to give you an orange mask works quite good. Sandwich it with your B/W negative and put in a typical filter pack. I have a whole chart I can send you when I get home that tells you what you need to subtract or add for any number of colors. After getting the rig ht "B/W look", then dial in a bit of yellow and a small amount of red which means dial a lower (take out yellow from your filter pack) number of yello w (say 5 pts.) and dial out equal amounts of yellow and magenta say 2 pt. (this is what you do to get red). This should get you in the neighborhood an d can be tweaked from there. A cool tone is done by adding Cyan and blue. If you have Acrobat Reader (free download from Abode web site) on your com puter, I'll send you a PDF of the color chart. Cheers

yes John, do some huge ring arounds with the sandwiched color film film base ... you'll find it's easier to find a cyanotype look and a sepia look than it is to print one neutral.