Thread: Ansel Adams show in St. Petersburg

Ansel Adams show in St. Petersburg

Ansel Adams in the American West. The premier show in their newly expanded building. Also features other California photographers, Edward and Brett Weston, Wynn Bullock, and many others.
    Worth a special trip if you're in Florida,

http://www.fine-arts.org/about/about.html

(It's amazing how small 8x10 and 16 x 20 can look on a museum wall.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Ansel Adams show in St. Petersburg

Bill, good to hear that silver is alive and well in Florida. The 8x10's are small, but precious jewels! You mention several of those represented, any other names you can drop?

Thanks for the post, wish I were closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Bill, good to hear that silver is alive and well in Florida. The 8x10's are small, but precious jewels! You mention several of those represented, any other names you can drop?

Thanks for the post, wish I were closer.
    Laura Gilpin, Wm Dassenville, xxx Ross, Michael Smith, Jerry Ulesman (flamingos in Yosemite!), Feininger, (sorry about the spelling), I can't think of any other names, although there were many more.
    Two of the Adams' prints were 40" including his famous 1929 Half-Dome which was the first image that he previsualized. They even had one of his "Parmelian" prints.
    Edward's print was beautiful, but not a particularly interesting image.
    Brett had two prints, and I was somewhat disappointed in them. Even across a gallery room I can usually instantly spot a BW 8x10 print in a whole wall of large images, but not this time. One was a non-de-script image from Point Lobos, but the other was his most famous image of a beach (first time I've seen an original print, not a reproduction).
    I'm sure that I'll go back again before the exhibit closes (maybe I'll remember to take notes).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

It sounds like an interesting and worthwhile exhibit.

Perhaps the beach print of Brett's was Garrapata Beach, with the triangular rocks and early morning shadows.

Thanks.

The St. Pete Museum itself is a little jewel (maybe not so little if they've just expanded). They have a really good photography collection. Some years ago - maybe ten - they mounted an exhibit of nothing but works from their permanent collection and it was pretty impressive - at least one of just about every major early and modern (as opposed to post-modern) photographer of the 20th century
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.