Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Foto 3 competition - follow up

Terence

Re: Foto 3 competition - follow up

Last post, eh?

And quoting "anonymous" sources at that?

Seriously?

What. A. Joke.

Going to Tijuana soon...

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    "Who the f*** are these people anyway that they can behave this way.
    Steve I don't see people asking who won and then questioning you when you dodge as deserving of that comment. You may have been on task for 21 years, a great parent, uncle, brother, model citizen and all the rest, but you don't seem to be very good at running this particular contest.

I have never, ever heard of a legitimate contest where the winners were not announced. Weren't there supposed to be 7 cash winners amongst a total of 21 award winners across multiple categories?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve simmons

This was a quote from one of the winners. They were appalled at the behavior of some on this forum and do not want to be attacked for doing junket work, for selling out photography, etc.

Weren't there supposed to be 7 cash winners amongst a total of 21 award winners?

We did not have entries in all categories. Not every contest does and ours was no exception.

Sorry people, the judges and others who worked with me are all honest people and understand and have been part of all contest decisions

steve simmons

Going to Tijuana soon...

All 21 winners feel as this person does? I suspect that if I won a contest for my photography I'd want some acknowledgement no matter what people thought on a forum that I didn't participate on. Frankly if I had paid to enter I'd want some assurance that what was promised was delivered.

Steve you need to do the right thing and it isn't weaving and dodging.

The prize categories included B&W and color in the "Master" competition and B&W and color in the "Student" competition. These seem like rather broad categories. I'd be surprised if there were no B&W or color submissions in both groups.--

Overall Grand Prize: $2500

Student Competition

* First Prize: $1000
    * Second Prize Black & White: $500
    * Second Prize Color: $500
    * 10 Honorable Mention Awards

Master Photographer Competition

* First Prize: $1500 (PLUS a Workshop session)
    * Second Prize Black & White: $750
    * Second Prize Color: $750
    * 10 Honorable Mention Awards

Going to Tijuana soon...

And its 27 awards not 21.

Clay

Wilson: Who's Harvey?
    Miss Kelly: A white rabbit, six feet tall.
    Wilson: Six feet?
    Elwood P. Dowd: Six feet three and a half inches. Now let's stick to the facts.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/foto3

"Selected images will be published in an upcoming issue of View Camera and other magazines."

I have a hard time thinking ALL 27 winners said no to being published or even having their names mentioned on the View Camera website or elsewhere.

David Gainer

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve simmons

This was a quote from one of the winners. They were appalled at the behavior of some on this forum and do not want to be attacked for doing junket work, for selling out photography, etc.

Weren't there supposed to be 7 cash winners amongst a total of 21 award winners?

We did not have entries in all categories. Not every contest does and ours was no exception.

Sorry people, the judges and others who worked with me are all honest people and understand and have been part of all contest decisions

steve simmons
    Steve, I'd just like to articulate what some others seem to be thinking but not saying. It's not only for the winners to say whether or not you post the winning submissions somewhere. Anyone who submitted an entry needs to feel like there was a fair process and a true winner. If I submit an entry to a competition I like to see the winner (if it is not me) to compare style, technique, and vision. It tells me a lot about the particular criteria that went into the judging.

With that said I did not submit an entry to the Foto 3 contest, so I will say no more.

Dave

We showed the Grand Prize winner on the conference program. Many of the other winners were shown on Sat and Sunday at the conference in the lounge area. There has been no attempt to hide anything. Some winners were not shown as their entries were in digital form and we did not have time to get prints made. I have explained this many times. Yet, many of the critics here obviously were not at the conference, were not paying attention, or can't let go of their negativity

As I have said I do not believe there is any real interest in this except for some to keep bashing an event that they have been negative towards from the beginning. Given that all kinds of character assissinations have been spit out, criminal charges have been alleged, people have been accused of doing 'conceptual' work as a sellout, the winners have been accused of doing junket photography, etc., etc. why would anyone want to be subjected to this type of abuse?

Some people on this forum seem to not be able to do anything but bash. If Clay Harmon, David B etc. were truly interested I have encouraged them to contact the judges to make sure the judging took place, that many of the winners were shown at the conference etc. None of these people have shown any interest in following up except to be negative here on this forum.

I have made a commitment to people not to reveal their identity as they have asked me not to do after seeing the behavior of some people on this forum. I will honor that commitment.

steve simmons