Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which shortish lens for macro work on WP?

which shortish lens for macro work on WP?

I need a little advice or some suggestions, please. I'm looking for a lens I can use on my lovely Victo whole plate camera, for doing close up work on wet plate.

I've currently got an 11" Cooke series V on there, which is terrific, but I'm looking for something shorter so that I can go to more than 1:1 without seven yards of bellows extension. Ideally I'd be able to use something as is on the existing packard shutter (which has, um, 45mm threads or thereabout). I've been using a sweet little wollensak raptar 101mm lens on my 4x5 camera for making 2:1 closeups of flowers and dead things, so, I'm looking for something along the same lines to use with on the Victo. I don't need mad swirlies or anything. My budget is limited and probably runs out at about the 200 dollar mark before shipping... anything particular I should be looking out for? Any suggestions would be useful.

thanks.

Re: which shortish lens for macro work on WP?

How about a shortish G-claron? Or since you don't need a shutter other process lens. The ones that don't fit a shutter should be a small fraction of your budget.

Are you saying there is a ring mounted on the front of the packard? And you want to use that?

Katie, I can't wait to see the work.
    Domenico

I've been using a Zeiss jena 105 f4.5 on 5x12 for some macro work. Hardly a model of sharpness and contrast, but I really like the look from it, and it's pretty common I believe. (Pardon the brush marks, from when I was first learning kallitypes.) Xenars also work well, better contrast and general technical quality. I have a 135, 150 and 180 that look nice on the format and cover very well at macro range. But I'm a fool for tessars.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 24-Sep-2008 at 16:37.

APO artar in shutter or similar lens should work fine down to 1:1. If more magnification is required, use a reverse mounted enlarging lens. The exposure times at these magnifications and long bellows draw might allow the lens cap to be used as the shutter.

If you have a few Componon's or Rodagons in the darkroom, try a 135 or 150, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If not, they go unbid often on "that" auction website. The Componons were available in shutters for just this reason.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've used a 150mm Konica GR-II and a 150mm Eskofot Ultragon (both process lenses) on 8x10 with very good results. These are also relatively inexpensive.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Ms. Cooke, could you suggest a site on which I can find info. about making wet plates? I have the article in my 11th. ed. Brittanica, and a basic understanding of the process, so I don't need to start from square 1.

Thank you.

Bill.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I'd recommend the agfa repromaster 150mm f9, I think it is the same lens as the eskofot ultradon Mark Sawyer mentioned. Should be available very cheap.

There is an article amongst those at the bottom of the Home Page that I think would be helpful to you.