Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The search of a good mid priced field camera

The search of a good mid priced field camera

I'm looking for a good mid priced field camera that allows adequate movement eve n with WA lens. IMO LF is all about movement. Schneider 72mm XL seems to be the shortest lens with extra coverage so I keep it in mind when choosing camera. I'v e looked at Toyos: AII, 20mm rise too limited, VX125, too expensive. Linhof Ebon y same $$$ problem. Walker? ABS plastic for thousand of $$$? Now I'm looking at Wista SP/VX, looks like Japanese version of Master Technika; 58mm rise, impressi ve; bag bellow can works with lens down to 65mm, just what I need; 5.2lbs(VX, ab out half of a Calumet 45NX), acceptable. Now the question is: is there anything not so good? BTW in a previous question I asked about linhof recessed board. I just found out Wista has its own better solution, quite smart design, a recessed board looks l ike a cubic frame, when combined with bag bellow will allow 55mm lens. For descr iption and image check www.wista.co.jp. Expensive though. Whether it fits 72mm X L is still a question.

Aaron: I owned a Wista VX for a few years, and overall it was a nice camera, but I ultimately switched to a Toyo 45A. Two things to check out. The greater rise comes at the expense of no fall. Make sure a 72mm can be used with vertical compositions without dropping the bed. I also had trouble with some film holders not fitting in the spring back. The main culprit was grafmatic backs if I recall. I sold mine mainly because I wanted a bit more bellows draw without resorting to extra beds and bellows. The Toyo allowed me to use a 300M Nikkor more effectively than the Wista. On the other hand, the Wista was nice and light, and well made. The friction wheel for controlling lens tilt was a nice feature.

Both the front and rear of this camera can do 15 degree backward tilt. Will it solve the bed problem?

It sure sounds like you want a Canham DLC to me. You can use down to a 58mm with no problems or need for a w/a bellows or expensive recessed board. Or out to a 720mm T-Nikkor without any extensions or hpyer long bellows. And it weighs 4.7 lbs. And it costs US$2300. Did I mention that a bright screen is builtin? Click here for Canham Specs. The only thing the Canham does not have is yaw free tilts but that isn't something you'll really need for most photography.

BTW most fast (?/4 to ?/5.6) 65mms have a plenty large image circle for 4x5 work for much less $$$$ and without the weight and size hassles that come with the 72mm XL.

It sure sounds like you want a Canham DLC to me. You can use down to a 58mm with no problems or need for a w/a bellows or expensive recessed board. (the shortest I've used on mine is a 47mm Super Angulon XL but that was mounted in a recessed Linhof board.) Or out to a 720mm T-Nikkor without any extensions or hyper long bellows. And it weighs 4.7 lbs. And it costs US$2300. Did I mention that a bright screen is builtin? Click here for Canham Specs. The only thing the Canham does not have is yaw free tilts but that isn't something you'll really need for most photography.

BTW most fast (?/4 to ?/5.6) 65mms have a plenty large image circle for 4x5 work for much less $$$$ and without the weight and size hassles that come with the 72mm XL.

And no "bed getting in the shot" problem either.

If that 72mm will be your most-used lens, I don't think the lunchbox-style cameras will be best for you. Ellis's favorite camera is only a few dollars more than the Wista you're looking at; if you're in the U.S. check out overseas or grey-market prices on the Toyo VX125; (I believe) Phillips is marketing a 4x5 now; and the superlight Gowlands are out there.

Aaron: According to Wista, the VX can handle a 65mm without bed intrusion. If this is so, you are fine. The Canham DLC is a nice camera, but I think it is significantly more money than the Wista.

My Toyo 45A bellows gets really angry just trying to push the extent of the rather limited rise and fall with a 90mm. Of course, I could get a recessed board, but I don't think that will solve the problem entirely.

You seemed concern about amount of rise and fall and want to use this 72mm - if that is the case, I'd look for something with more flexible bellows or bag bellows, as well as more rise and fall.

I was photographing the shuttle launch last night (absolutely GORGEOUS! - just after sunset and the shuttle climbed into the direct sunlight causing an orange glow on the exhaust plume), and had the bellows all crinkled with the 90mm just trying to get the horizon near the bottom of the image.

I'm in acordance with Ellis and John. I'm a novice and last weekend I tasted a 72XL with my Canham. This lens has a big image circle, much bigger than the circle formed with the corners of the format in extreme movements. I draw in a paper the circles of the 72XL and the 75 "normal", and the circle that the corners of the format "draw" in extreme movements. The 75mm exceed the capacity of the camera in rise/fall, and is moreless the same in lateral shifts. Focusing to a near subject, the circle grows, and the also capacity. The capacity of movements with the camera focused to infinity are limited by the bellows compression (to one inch moreless in the DLC45) when you use this wide angle lenses. That's the reason because I think that a 75mm works better with field cameras (without a bag bellows, of course). The 72XL is a monster. I don't recommend it for my camera. Another topic is the rear element. If the front of the bellows isn't wide enough, it can limit too the movement. I disagree partially with Ellis, when he said that you can use a 58mm with no problems with the Canham, because the same reason. You can use it with a limited capacity. The compression of the bellows would be bigger with this lens, unless you choose a recessed board like he does (I understand now why he has the Linhof front). He is one of the users that convince me with the Canham. I'm so happy with the DLC. Not yaw free is not a problem to me.