Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Humping 8x10 more than 100 feet from the car

Photographer

Re: Humping 8x10 more than 100 feet from the car

OK, it's a nice photo, but where's the Hummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Welcome to my favorite part of the world! The photo below was taken on New Years Day 2008 -- 8x10 set up on the fallen upper portion of the snag on the left -- probably 10 to 15 feet above the ground (actually on one side was the creek), with the camera itself another 5 feet higher...had to move very carefully!

Vaughn

PS...it took more than a single bound...LOL! But you have a good point. I am training up my three boys (in the photo) to help carry the gear...better than a stroller, lamas or mules. But at 11 years old, they are are costing a bit to feed (and it is only starting!)
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    OK, it's a nice photo, but where's the Hummer?
    Okay...confession time. The old highway is only about 100 yards beyond those snags, and I had my Honda minivan parked back there...I'd be too embarrassed to drive a Hummer. The first 30 yards is an easy bush-whacking through ferns and over small down trees (less than 2' dia), then about 50 yards of trail one could easily use a stroller on, then the last 20 yards is basically like what you see in the image.

Vaughn

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Vaughn, bigger tires on the minivan and you could get in there!! It looks like I need to come your way and give the big cameras a workout! Easy access!!

Jim

I recently went up from 4x5 to 8x10. I wanted good lightweight gear on a budget. I use a Chamonix 8x10 with 3 inexpensive high-quality lenses (plasmats!) - a fujinon -w 5.6/210mm, a schneider symmar-s 5.6/240mm, and a fujinon w 6.3/360mm. I use a Lowepro Stealth AW II (discontinued now I think), a bag designed for reporters/correspondnets with slr digital and laptop. In here I carry the cham, 6 8x10 holders, 3 lenses and all accessories including BTZS 8x10 focus bag, meters, etc. The stealth is way smaller than LowePro Trekkers. Loaded with heavy lenses this weighs a respectable 30.5 lbs. I carry an Induro A313 tripod (about $150) by hand or over shoulder.

For the record I mostly shoot urban landscapes and trek maybe 1-4 hours from the car in a day of shooting.

Good Luck!
    Craig McCormick
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    Christopher you've got me thinking! It would be great to see your case loaded with the gear.....any pictures?
    kev
    Kev, will do next week.

Hi Brad,

I've been doing 8x10 for the last year, and here's what I do. If walking around a city or other paved area, put camera, lenses, head and holders into a duffle bag w wheels and tripod on shoulder. You can do a fair bit of walking when you're rolling the heavy stuff.
    If going off road, or for short moves from place to place, just put the camera on tripod over the shoulder, lenses and holders in shoulder bag and/or backpack.
    I just started working w an assistant today for a project I'm doing on Tel Aviv, and thta's really the best solution of all!!
    BTW, get a Ries tripod and head, they're great.

GB

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    Christopher you've got me thinking! It would be great to see your case loaded with the gear.....any pictures?

kev
    Here's the Samsonite pilot's bag with 8x10 gear...
    Last edited by cjbroadbent; 16-Sep-2008 at 06:38.

Thanks for taking the trouble to make such neat photos Christopher, it looks like the ideal solution for me.

Grazie

kev

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi Brad, snip...
    I just started working w an assistant today for a project I'm doing on Tel Aviv, and thta's really the best solution of all!!
    BTW, get a Ries tripod and head, they're great.

GB
    When I was on a 6-month bike tour of NZ, I carefully put the camera away in the pack (a 4x5 Gowland PocketView) anytime I moved more than about 10 meters. Risking the camera while walking on uneven ground -- considering the expense I went thru to get there, the difficulty of replacing equipment, and it being a once-in-a-lifetime adventure -- just did not make sense to me. I carried an extra GG, but only had the one lens.

But photographing locally, I would not hesitate putting the 4x5 on the pod, then over my shoulder as I walk around. The camera is replacable and by having it at-the-ready, one might be able to get an image that makes the risk of damaging the camera worthwhile.

I hesitate to do so with the Zone VI 8x10, except for short distances on even ground, just because of the weight and the chance of whacking it into some rock or sharp branch. I would not be able to replace the camera so easily as I could the 4x5.

And yes, the Ries pod and head are great. I have given my a hard work-out over the years and it is still dependable.

Vaughn