Thread: Central Valley Grain Elevators

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Central Valley Grain Elevators

I drove out to the Modesto area with the wife over the weekend to see her grandfather and was quite impressed by the numerous grain elevators/industrial complexes we saw from the highway. I would like to return with the LF equipment when I have the time and the light is right. Has anyone here photographed grain elevators in California, and do you have any recommendations about the logistics? I drove close by one on a frontage road, and it looked like you could shoot it from the road, but I'm not sure how close you could approach without permission. Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Preston Birdwell

Re: Central Valley Grain Elevators

Brian,

You might want to obtain a contact phone number, or visit with someone on site and ask. You might even carry a small print of a simlar facility to show, along with your business card. I woudn't shoot from the road without asking. Heck, it could be a missle silo cloaked to look like a grain elevator!

There are some really cool looking facilities in the valley; it could be a nice project.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Hi Brian!
    One of the oldest grain elevators (& most unusual) still in use, in the Modesto area,
    is near the intersection of Tully rd & Stoddard ave. Once it was away from it all...has since been swallowed by the junior college parking lot. an interesting juxtaposition..
    If anyone had issues with photography, I'd tell 'em you are in a photo class, since the JC is right there.Let me know if you are coming to the area, I know of some others...
    David Silva
    Modesto Ca

I always ask permission if I want to go on someone's property. But I photograph buildings from public roads all the time without asking permission. It's my understanding that as long as I'm not trespassing, and as long as I am not using the photograph for commercial purposes, it's perfectly fine to do that (ignoring national security and that kind of thing). If someone were to come out and object I wouldn't argue, I'd pack up and leave, but I've never had that happen. The few times someone has asked what I was doing I've told them and they've never had a problem. I could be wrong about my legal rights to photograph without permission from a public road but since I don't plan to assert whatever rights I might have in the face of an objection, I've never really looked into it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Hi Brian!
    One of the oldest grain elevators (& most unusual) still in use, in the Modesto area,
    is near the intersection of Tully rd & Stoddard ave. Once it was away from it all...has since been swallowed by the junior college parking lot. an interesting juxtaposition..
    If anyone had issues with photography, I'd tell 'em you are in a photo class, since the JC is right there.Let me know if you are coming to the area, I know of some others...
    David Silva
    Modesto Ca
    Thanks Dave. I'll let you know if I'm coming out to your neck of the woods and perhaps we can meet up sometime.
    Brian Vuillemenot