Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acadia NP for fall color

Acadia NP for fall color

What would your recommendation be for a good time to visit the Acadia NP/Bar Harbor/Schoodic area this fall in order to catch the foliage as it turns? I've never been
    there and plan to spend a week. What's the weather like then?

Re: Acadia NP for fall color

Second or third week in October. Pretty spectacular, and the weather was quite decent last year - 50s to 60s and sunny, one day of rain in a week. Stay in Ellsworth to get easy access to Schoodic, Acadia, and Mt. Desert Isle.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Second or third week in October. Pretty spectacular, and the weather was quite decent last year - 50s to 60s and sunny, one day of rain in a week. Stay in Ellsworth to get easy access to Schoodic, Acadia, and Mt. Desert Isle.
    Bruce and I went together last year. The weather was very nice, but I don't recall the foliage being too spectacular in Maine. There was some pretty nice foliage in NY and VT on the trip up to Maine from VA, but I don't remember the Maine foliage being too wonderful the 3rd week in October. Of course, the purpose of the trip was LF B&W photography....

Go, have a good time, relax, and appreciate nature's wonders no matter what happens with the weather or foliage.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Joe,
    This is an excellent site for general information on Fall color :http://www.foliagenetwork.com/default.php
    I think that you should be able to get information from past years and get a good idea of the best color in the area. Unfortunately the color varies from year to year with the weather conditions in the summer and early fall, so any one year is a crap shoot. I would take Walters advice and just pick a likely week from the information on the foliage network and have a great time. There are so many wonderful sights at Acadia and the surrounding areas that don't really require fall color. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Bruce and I went together last year. The weather was very nice, but I don't recall the foliage being too spectacular in Maine. There was some pretty nice foliage in NY and VT on the trip up to Maine from VA, but I don't remember the Maine foliage being too wonderful the 3rd week in October. Of course, the purpose of the trip was LF B&W photography....
    I remember the foliage being quite nice, and right about at peak. It isn't VT or NH, but what is?

Not many trees with color at Schoodic - mostly pine and hemlock - but the way to Corea and places east, and down Mt. Desert Isle were quite nice.

On the other hand, we only used black and white, so what would we know?
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I agree with Bruce about the 2nd or 3rd week of October (of course it depends on the year whether Autumn colors are early or late), but disagree about staying in Ellsworth. Definitely stay in Bar Harbour.
    Fall colors are nice in Acadia, but not spectacular like New Hampshire or the Great Smokeys.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Smile Re: Acadia NP for fall color

I spend a lot of time in the Bar Harbor area (was there last year prior to attending the Fall Foliage Workshop by Harris, Barlow and Ritter in Pittsburg NH. (BTW that was an extremely enjoyable three days in Pittsburg at near peak fall foliage)

I'd elect to stay in Ellsworth as Bruce says because by fall the road to Mount Desert Island is not so crowded with tourists and so most of the Island can be accessed in about a 30 minute drive - and accommodations are cheaper. The immediate coastal areas of Maine are principally coniferous trees due to the proximity of cool ocean water and frequent fog. The color foliage is intermittant and limited to occasional patches of red maple, white birch and a variety of deciduous shrubs. You need to be selective with composition. I've found that the blueberry barrens are particularly unique for the deep red fall color of the leaves. These barrens are found on top of Cadallac Mt. on Mt Desert Island, Deer Isle (around Deer Island township) and north along Rt. 1 from Ellsworth to Machais. The greatest extent of barrens are in Deblois ME. in the vicinity of the Maine blueberry Co. processing plant. On the immediate coast you'll find patches of Rose Mallow with brilliant red berries and complimentary yellow and green leaves.

The peak color grades more with the vegitation species than with the time of year. Thus you'll find selective color from about Oct. 1 to Oct. 20. I pick a window of the second week in Oct. as a generally good time for average peak color.

If you go out to the Schoodic Point subsection of Acadia Nat. Park do stop in Winter Harbor and visit my favorite coffee shop for devine pastries or lunch right across from the general store.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll get something worth posting.

Cheers,
    Joe

Wild blueberry fields turn bright red, which can be quite interesting. There are lots of these further up the Route 1 along the coast from Milbridge to Machias.