Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acadia NP for fall color

Re: Acadia NP for fall color

Some specific trails in Acadia have more hardwoods, like those on Beech Mountain, which does have a parking lot halfway up the hill, and the valley trail beside the Beehive, which both have stands of Beech forrest. There are some hardwood stands along the carriage trails near Sargent and Penobscot Mountains, and the Giant's cascade trail goes beside a stream with big erratic boulders and has mixed woods.

In Elsworth the Union River Dam is an interesting subject. It is a bit off Grant Street, on the north side of Main Street. Also not often seen by tourists are the inland lakes and mountains of the Donnell Pond Public Reserve Land bounded by Route 182 and Route 1, to the north of Schoodic. Route 183 goes into the park to Tunk Lake and Black and Schoodic Mountains. Even more impressive is the Bold Coast Trail in Whiting, just north of Cutler on the coast (off Route 191). It's a long drive from Ellsworth but definitely worth seeing, with blue-grey cliffs falling into deep clear waters, and beaches of large round cobbles. Being further north, fall colors are likely earlier in that area.
    Last edited by SDK; 1-Aug-2008 at 06:42.

Hey Joe,

If you've not booked accomodations yet, give Jane or Steve a call at Aysgarth Station. It is a small B&B in Bar Harbor: www.aysgarth.com. I stayed there a couple years ago for a wedding and the rooms were neat and clean, the breakfast each morning was wonderful.

-m

In my many trips to Acadia, and manning a medical clinic on Desert Island, it was only recently that I learned of historic Fort Knox, near Ellsworth, which has been restored.
    I've never been there, but it might be worth a look.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Fort Knox is off Route 1 and 3 on the west bank of the Penobscot River just north of Verona Island, in Prospect Maine. The new Penobscot Narrows bridge, an impressive cable-stay bride with two obelisk pylons, one of which has an elevator and observation deck is nearby. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Knox_%28Maine%29 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Narrows_Bridge.

And BTW last fall after crossing the new Penobscot Narrows bridge going south on Rt. 1 I spotted some splendid abstracts in the cliffs of the roadcut at the west end of the bridge. Nice rust colored surfaces in jointed contortions. Check it out. I did not have time to stop and it was pouring rain at the time.

Nate Potter, Austin TX