Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Report

Yosemite Report

I was in Yosemite from July 19 to July 23. The flow over Vernal and Nevada falls was still large. The other falls were beginning to dry up. I did carry the 4x5 a total of about 24 miles during the week, and I will have to post some comments on that later. There were certainly some things that were worth carrying the pack for.

I don't have the 4x5 film developed, but have a few digital pictures I can post:

Glacier point July 21 2008
    http://dlharmon.com/~dlharmon/photos...july212008.jpg

Vernal Falls July 20 2008
    http://dlharmon.com/~dlharmon/photos...july202008.jpg

Darrell Harmon

Re: Yosemite Report

Looks like it was hazy, like it has been all summer, wasn't it ?

It certainly has. Fire smoke has been everywhere in California this summer.

Preston Birdwell

There is a large fire burning on both sides of the river in the Merced River Canyon near Midpines on Hwy 140. It is over a 1000 acres as 5:00 PM PDT today. The town of Midpines may have to be evacuated. The fire started yesterday afternoon.

If you are planning to visit Yosemite in the coming days, the smoke will likely be pretty bad since up-canyon winds will drive the smoke directly into the valley. Also, keep an eye on road conditions for closures. If you are headed to Yosemite, you might want to use CA 120 East, or enter the park from the East Side over Tioga Pass (Hwy 120 West).

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Yeah the tankers in Fresno have been flying out of the Air Attack Base here and headed that direction today. It is quite a sight to see them struggle off the deck loaded down with that strawberry colored goop!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

Update on the fire near Yosemite...

The fire is now 10,000 Ac and threatening portions of Midpines and surrounding areas. Some evacuations have been ordered, and up to 2,000 structures are threatened. CA National Guard helicopter air support has been ordered.

It looks like this one will get worse before it gets better. Not good. :-(

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I flew north from San Jose to Hillsboro,Oregon on the corporate jet on Friday evening.
    extremely smokey from fires (many) burning a few miles inland from the coast all the way up to Del Norte County. It looked like a strong coastal fog -- very thick. Can't imagine how smokey Yosemite must be at this time with all the smoke streaming eastward.

Looks like a good time to avoid Yosemite. We haven't seen any of the smoke on the coast…yet.

Quote Originally Posted by don12x20 View Post
    Can't imagine how smoky Yosemite must be at this time with all the smoke streaming eastward.
    You don't have to imagine it -- there are live webcams like this one from near Tunnel View. That is mostly smoke with a little haze mixed in. A yellow filter won't help much with this stuff .

I read a report that they cut the electricity off to at least some of the valley yesterday or today so that fire fighters could work under power lines. They are already risking their lives; no need to add falling live power lines to their workload.

Oy. Poor Yosemite. Probably a lot of disappointed visitors this summer too. Sigh...

Bruce Watson

On tonight's news - Telegraph fire just outside the park has caused El Portal to be evacuated. Flames to 100 feet. Zero containment. Park still open.