Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20x24

Re: 20x24

At one time I believe that Tri Tran had a 20x24 Chaminox up for sale. The back was fixed and the orientation couldn't be changed from horizontal to vertical. You might want to send Tri a PM to see if it was ever sold.

Zebra

Well I can't find the papers right now but based on how this seems to be viewed I must be certifiable.

I shoot 20 x 24 for Pt/Pd, Gum over Pt/Pd and Wet Plate Collodion. I think it's a blast. Yeah it's pricey but in today's day and age what isn't. What it really boils down to is choices. Yes to 20 x 24 Pt/Pd, no to some other things. I shoot smaller formats for the majority of my work, (10 x 12 and 7 x 17) but when the subject matter works I love getting 'the Don' out. Hey if you're chasing windmills you might as well chase big ones. I shoot portraits quite a bit with it and love it. Head and shoulders pt/pd portraits bigger than life size are a lot of fun. I shoot FP4, develop in trays, and buy and mix raw chemicals for everything so that it is cheaper (somewhat!) I won't bore folks with too many details but if you are interested in knowing more pm me and I will email you some examples of how it can turn out and what to look for in ways of learning curve. Unlike Sandy who is proficient at damn near everything!!!!! I'm a slug that jumped in big at the beginning and have been figuring it out as I go along.

Here's at least one guy saying go for it. It's only once around in this gig!

If you want to look at my 20 24 look up the "Camera Portraits" thread--I've posted pics of it in there with my kids dwarfed by it. You can also search my name on here and in various portrait threads I've posted examples of work with it.

Hope you enjoy,

Monty

jetcode

Monty for reference what is the cost to produce a sheet of FP4 in 20x24?

Zebra

Hi Joe,

Based on when I bough film last in the annual run from Ilford a sheet of FP4 runs about 22 dollars. I process three or four sheets at a time to maximize chemicals in big deep flat bottomed trays. Rollo Pyro made from raw chemicals. To be honest I haven't done the math on what those chemical measurements come out to per batch but it is somewhat nominal compared to the film price. I'm guessing its about two to three bucks per 4 sheet run. So just under 25 dollars a sheet to have a neg ready for printing. Like I mentioned I don't shoot this thing on a whim but when it is a subject you are geeked about it's a lot of fun.

As to the printing, I make sure I get the test strip exactly where I want it before slapping down the chemicals for the big sheet. I print on Fabriano Artistico or Rives BFK, occasionally I will spring for Cot 320 as it is much smoother. I use a NuArc but am lusting after the Amerigraph that Sandy has reviewed in the past as it's light fall off edge to edge is much less significant.

I've posted this picture several times so regular readers of the forum are probably tired of it but it is one of the few 20 x 24's that has been digitized properly to represent what is possible when it all goes right.

My son Satchel Cochise, 20 x 24 Pt/Pd Gumover
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails satchel_small_2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    I can't imagine handling, owning, or managing a 20x24. At least with a boat you can sail it around the bay.
    The 20x24 IS the boat! Use one film holder as a paddle, the other as the rudder.