Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 4x5 Camera for Landscape Work?

Which 4x5 Camera for Landscape Work?

If you were not too concerned about money, which 4x5 camera would you buy for la ndscape work? Also, what two lenses would you own?

Any 4x5 field camera. Any modern lens. They are all really great and create decent images. The leading cause of failure shooting landscape is the operator. James

Depends on how your work. Within 100 ft. of the car is different from backpacking. In the cold, or just fair weather or better?

For compact work, I'd choose 2 lenses that take the same size filter, since doubling up on filters increases space and permits more fumbling.

The traditional choice of 120 & 210 mm is easy to work with.

What I own for 4x5: Toyo 45-AR & Toyo 45-CX cameras. Interchangeable lens boards and backs.

210/5.6 Fujinon 210 Osaka 90/6.8 Angulon 125/8 Fujinon. I got the Osaka after the Fujinon, and plan to get a 135 Sironar or Caltar. 90/135/210 (Angulon, Sironar, Osaka) all with the same filter size. These 3 will weigh less and take up less space than the 2 Fujinons. (Maybe even less than the 125 Fujinon alone.)The 40.5 mm filter size means I have to get filters mail order, but saves space. My Pentax digital meter even takes the same filter size.

In the end, James is right.

A used Toyo 45A is a great place to start. It may or may not not be your ultimate choice, but it will let you find out what you like and don't like in camera design. If later you decide to go another way, they are easy to sell.

The type of camera you choose is a personal one, every one will swear by the one they use. If money were no consideration I would opt for an Ebony (the SW45 is ideal for landscape work) and combined with the 110XL and the 180 Apo Symmar. If I could I'd also stretch to either a 75mm or the 80XL and a 6x12 roll film back.........heaven!! Regards Paul

I'd stick with an Arca-Swiss FC or the more compact Canham DLC. Lenses? A 210mm (I use the ?/5.6 W-Nikkor , but they are all abut the same,) and the 110mm ?/5.6 XL Super Symmar.

If money was no great concern and selling images wasn't either I 'd go with an 8x10. Of course I'd also own my own processing line, an Imacon scanner , a very high end glicee printer and hire the best operators I could find.

But back in the real world, I'd stick with an Arca-Swiss FC or the more compact Canham DLC. Lenses? A 210mm (I use the ?/5.6 W-Nikkor , but they are all abut the same,) and the 110mm ?/5.6 XL Super Symmar.

for me in the perfect world of a higher tax brax, I'd want the camo version of the walker titan. The one with the black hardware and the waterproof bellows. A 90, 120, 240 all of the lightest design and a nice carbon-fiber gitzo.

sheesh, you can tell I carry a technica huh? the les paul of field cams!

Each photographer prefers his camera. I use a Wisner 4x5, both a technical field and a pocket expedition(not simultaneously!). I find them rugged, capable of making the easiest and the most difficult shots. My lenses include 72mmXL, 110mmXL, 135mm, 210mm, 300mm, 450mm.The camera works well with all. In inclement weather the camera is easy to use. In dusty weather it can be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled in a matter of minutes. So that's me vote. bob

Ebony, Gitzo, Schneider, Rodenstock, Schneider, Rodenstock, Schneider.