Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst 1200

Durst 1200

Hi, guys,

I've been offered the opportunity to buy a Durst Laborator 1200. I can't remember the name of the head - it's a color diffusion one.
    It has one major problem. At the back of the column there's a wide and long piece of steel that goes downwards from the top of the column and then winds onto a kind of reel. I don't know how to explain this, but if you know the enlarger you'll know what I'm talking about. It seems to act like a sort of spring. This is broken in a few places. It's still in one piece, and looks like it could live a little longer, but it's evidently on its last legs.

What does this weird spring do, and what would happen if I simply removed it? Would the head fall? Is this the only thing that keeps the head in position?
    I understand this is a common disease of Durst enlargers, or at least of this particular model. Has any of you had this problem, and found a permanent solution to it (like, maybe a piece of leather with a counterweight, I don't know, I'm just thinking aloud)?

I noticed that the geared mechanism for raising and lowering the head is made of plastic (and quite a soft one, it seems). Is this going to give me any trouble over time? Are those plastic teeth going to support the weight of the head? They don't inspire too much confidence. Have you had any problems with them?

What else should I check?

I'm tempted to buy it, for two reasons. First, it's available locally (which is a big bonus, since large format enlargers are as scarce as hen's teeth in Romania). Second, I don't have all the money, but I know the guy, and he's willing to accept several monthly payments. I could afford it, but before taking the plunge I want to be absolutely sure that it can be easily and quickly fixed, and that once fixed it will stay fixed for a very long time. Otherwise I won't bother.

Thank you.

Re: Durst 1200

The steel spring at the back is absolutely necessary to counterbalance the weight of the head. Without it the plastic gearing will not properly take the weight. They do split as you describe after extensive use (or prolonged storage with the spring extended). I have replaced this spring on a smaller Durst enlarger in the past so I would imagine that you would be able to source a L1200 spring from somewhere.

Phil

Thank you.

Vlad ... Durst also published a "Servicing Instruction" booklet that has a page with pictures and directions for "Replacing the counterweight spring." The instructions say there is a "safety tool" and a "special bracket" which "lock the enlarger head."

The list of instructions are:

1. Raise the enlarger head halfway up the column and lock it.

2. Remove screws (4) and remove the covering hood (gray box-shaped cover on the back)

3. Remove negative carrier, light box and condenser, and lighting hood

4. Hang the special bracket on the spring shaft (appears to be a U-shaped rod with the two ends bent to allow it to hang securely from the cut out portion of the heavy aluminum box covering the spring assembly)

5. Fasten safety hook (appears to be a rod bent into a hook at the top and bottom, approximately 30 inches between bends) in the column base hole (near the base in back), move the enlarger head upwards and at the same time connect the upper part of the safety hook to the special bracket. Lock the enlarger head in this position with the locking knob.

6. Loosen the screws (4, connecting the heavy aluminum cover to the column), pull the special bracket downwards together with the safety hook and take the safety hook out of the hole (at the bottom of the column) Now slacken slowly the spring

7. Spread out the bearing bracket and remove it from the spring shaft

8. Loosen the nuts (2 inside the very top of the column inside the slot in the helmet), then remove the screws (2) on the top of the helmet (top of column) and lift the front of the helmet (top of column) and unscrew the nuts. Take off the spring and the helmet and replace.

This is a pretty powerful spring ... so be careful if you try this.

I have a copy of the instructions (but no scanner available right now) ... so you can either order it from one of the online manual sites or maybe someone on the forum can scan and email a copy. If you don't get one, let me know and I'll get a copy to you some way.

Just for your information, the servicing instructions include the following different subjects in addition to replacing the spring: 1) Removing the enlarger head, 2)Replacing the counterweight spring, 3) Adjusting the brake spring, 4) Replacing the rubber coupling and the driving pinion, 5) Replacing the locking knob, 6) Replacing and tightening up the lens carrier drive, 7) Replacing the column bushings, 8) Replacing the rollers, 9) Replacing the click pins, and 10) Replacing the bellows.

These enlargers are so plentiful and cheap on the second hand market that one with a broken spring as you describe has zero value. Infact I would go as far as saying it has negative value as the cost of a spring, if you can find a new one, would be more than buying a complete second hand enlarger in good condition. Springs may be available from durst through am official durst dealership otherwise it would have to be taken from another enlarger, so you would have to pay the price of the enlarger which was being disassembled. It simply does not make any sense to buy one with a broken spring in todays market. Durst L1200's can be had complete for £200 on ebay. But as you say, shipping is a problem due to size and weight. Many labs going digital are just throwing them into a skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Champagne View Post
    These enlargers are so plentiful and cheap on the second hand market
    Perhaps not in Romania ??

Not in Romania, indeed. Being available locally is a big bonus. But on the other hand I don't want to take a piece of junk and then go through the pain of searching for spare parts. I was hoping for an easy, quick and inexpensive fix.
    So, I think I'll pass. It's not worth the trouble.
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

Why don't you tell the seller you'll buy it if he can source a replacement spring in good condition.

Silly question maybe: I'm offered a Durts Laborator 1200 with color head.
    I'm only doing B/W printing. Does this work with a color head? Do I have to buy a separate B/W head???
    Thanks for your thoughts!