Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vienna, Dubrovnik and Lake Como?

Vienna, Dubrovnik and Lake Como?

I will be travelling through Vienna, Dubrovnik and Lake Como Italy. I have shot my 4x5 in Italy before and was wondering if any of you might make some suggestions of places to visit to shoot, opportunities for shots (time of day and location...).

Thanks.

Rich Voninski

Re: Vienna, Dubrovnik and Lake Como?

Ahh lake Como....... Really beautiful. I can't remember any spots but I can tell you that you're a lucky man.

Downstairs

Just went to Vienna and Salzburg last year...it's an architectural feast for the eyes. Schonbrunn Palace and the Belvedere Palace Gardens are beautiful. The Hapsburgs had a flair (and the funds) for the cathedrals...simply amazing churches everywhere (not just the Stephansdom, but the Augustiner and Peterskirche). For just people watching, the Nascht Markt (big open air market) is fun, but not a place for LF (but great for food and coffee).

If you have an iPod, I would purchase the Elyse Weiner iJourney tour of Vienna. It was a great intro to the city and very accurate. Oh yeah, and watch your stuff. Pickpockets are all over. I saw a few being chased from around the Hofburg Palace.
    Last edited by shmoo; 22-Jul-2008 at 11:31. Reason: added stuff

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Great places to shoot, enjoy it. Quite distinct photography themes.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Rich,
    when will you be in Vienna?
    Can inform you about some nice spots, pending what you want to see...
    br
    Hase

ps: if you have some place in your luggage I can need some readloads
    they are very expensive in austria....

pictures: Belvedere x-mas 2007 & 2x Borromaeus Church (Lueger Kirche) @ Zentralfriedhof (central cementary) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralfriedhof
    Last edited by hase; 2-Sep-2008 at 00:21.

Enviable itinerary.

Thanks for the advice everybody. We are really excited.

Hase, Check the PM i sent you.

RV

Some not necessarily photographic thoughts. In Vienna, have a Wiener Schnitzel. Germans used to tell me that theirs were OK, but you had to go to Vienna for the best. I had one and the Germans were right. As a matter of fact, all three of your destinations are good places to be hungry.

Re Dubrovnik. The town is fascinating but I hope you also have some time to get out onto the water nearby. That whole coast is just a line of interesting little islands and ports.

Re Como, the whole Lake District is gorgeous. Take a boat ride to help you find what you want to photograph.

Ernest,

I willl have 3 days in each place Vienna, Lake Como and Dubrovnik. In Dubrovnik what outer islands would you visit and how much time does it take?

In Lake Como I will have a rental car since I will be driving up from Milan and staying in Varenna. We were planning on just taking the ferry boats. Is that what you would recommend?

BTW Cinque Terre and wrapping up in Venice is the rest of the trip. But since I have already shot those places with 4x5 I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Unless you have been to Burano Island which I am going to try to hit this time.

Thanks.

Rich V