Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And yet another tripod rant....

And yet another tripod rant....

I have big tripods. A Zone VI, another no name woody, and a large old bogen 3030a. All with bogen 3047 heads. They support my gear, from 4X5 on down just fine.
    When traveling these are all pias due to size and weight. After a recent yellowstone trip, I decided it was time to rethink the tripod issue. I want smaller and lighter, but still able to support my small 4x5, and most problematically, my pentax 6x7.
    When I look at the specs for carbon fiber tripods, it looks Like I can get the weight down to about 2 pounds or so for a size that should work. But my heads are about 3.5 pounds, so by the time I'm done I am in the 5.5-6 pound range, for anywhere from little over $200 to much more depending on what I get.
    Or, buy another lighter head for a ton more money.
    A Tiltall on the other hand goes 6 pounds altogether, costs about a hundred bucks. I used one years ago, and other than trying to remove my fingers when I failed to tighten the knob, I think it would do all I am asking now.
    So why spend more?

Re: And yet another tripod rant....

In terms of bang for the buck, it's hard to beat a Tiltall, particularly for what you're doing (6x7 SLR and 4x5"). Look for an older Marchioni or Leitz version in good condition--about the same price as a new one, but most people say the older ones are better made.

I've owned two Leitz Tiltalls. I sold them when I got my Gitzo GT5540LS leg set, which will hold a much larger camera than a Tiltall will, but is about the same weight when I use a light head. With a flat plate and an Acratech ballhead, it's about 7 lbs. With the Arca-Swiss B2 it's about 10 lbs, and if I add a medium length rapid column with the B2, it's about 12 lbs.

I use a Feisol and the Really Right Stuff medium size head for 4x5 and digital. The total weight is about 4 pounds, maybe a little less. My tripod theory has always been to use the lightest reasonably sturdy tripod that doesn't collapse with the camera on it. I've never understood why a heavy camera is supposed to automatically require heavy tripod legs, it's always seemed the opposite to me (i.e. that a heavy tripod is needed with a very light camera). If I frequently photographed in windy conditions I might want a heavier tripod/head combination than I use but I'm not about to lug around a heavy tripod/head all the time just for the very rare occasions when I use a large format camera in windy conditions.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Terence

I just got the Feisol 3442 and CB-50d ball head this weekend. Obviously more expensive than the Tiltall, but it folds up small and is MUCH more stable than my similar sized Bogen.

I never liked 4 section tripods, but the folded size won me over after another frustrating vacation with the "just a wee bit too large" Bogen. The light weight was a nice bonus.

It feels easily stable enough for 4x5, and I'd feel comfortable with my 5x7 so long as it's not more than a light breeze blowing.

Damn, there are a dizzying variety of Gitzos' out there! Any advice as to which one to look for?
    One big problem I have is that I have nowhere nearby where I can handle a bunch of different tripods. The local store has bogen, and some used stuff. I did handle a berlebach, ( an 8023 I think) there, and must say was really underwhelmed. I love wood tripods, but not that one. I found the gizmos that lock the leg spread to be a pia, but most importantly, when I put my head and the pentax 67 on it, it had a lot of movement. Not what I expected.
    My 'small" tripod, an ancient bogen 3030 with 3047 head, is 35 inches tall folded, and nearly 6 inches wide folded. I haven't weighed it, but it and the head must be ten pounds or so. It feels about the same as my zone VI. I really can relate to the " wee bit too large" statement.
    So I am right back where I started....
    Another question- what the hack do the makers mean when they list weight limits? Is it the weight that the thing can hold without structural failure, or the manufactures' idea of the size camera it can hold with good results?

Here's some tips on what I find important to look for in a carbon fiber tripod...

1) 3 leg sections vs 4. Three sections will be more stable, and less leg locks to fiddle with to get the legs set up. The only reason to get 4 leg sections is to keep the tripod compact for traveling, or for an extra tall tripod.

2) Flat plat vs. center column. A tripod with a flat plate top will be more stable, and lighter than a tripod with a center colum. I would strongly recommend a tripod that does not use a center column, since the center column joint itself can be less stable, and if you extend the center column upwards it is even worse (converts the tripod into a monopod).

3) Fully extended height. I'm a shade over 6' tall and like a tripod that gets up to eye level. This also gives you a little extra leg length to work with if you are setting up on a slope. Adding in the height of a head and the camera, it takes about 145-148cm of leg height to get a camera to eye level for me. Referring back to point number 3, make sure you are checking the height for the tripod with the center column not extended.

4) Getting a tripod that is just a little bit "more" than recommended. In the Gitzo lineup I would consider a 2 series tripod (GT2xxx) to be the small end of what I would consider acceptable, and the 3 series tripod (GT3xxxx) to be ideal. In Gitzo's older lineup, this would be the 12xx series and the 13xx series respectively.

Gitzo model's to consider -

GT2530 - three leg sections, has a removable center column, but a little on the light side and a little short w/o the center column.
    GT3530S - three leg sections, flat plate, very stable, but short at 129cm.
    GT3540LS - flat plate, stable, right height, but four leg sections.

Note that many of the Gitzo models have been revised to end in the number "1" reflecting some minor improvements in the design.

The model that best meets all the recommendations I have listed above is the GT3530LS. Three leg sections, flat plate w/o a center column, very sturdy, 148cm tall. It also has all the revised features of the new tripods ending in in "1". It costs over $600, but is a great set of tripod legs.

The prior version of this tripod is what I use, the G1325. It is the same height and design, but just a little heavier and without the new slick features like anti-twist leg locks. You can find these used for around $400-450.

A final alternative would be to consider Feisol tripods. They are Asian made tripod legs that are a good value. Look at the CT-3372 as the model most comparble to the 3 series Gitzo. It costs $500.

Finally, don't rule out a ballhead. They offer a better strength/weight ratio and are much more compact. Also, getting into the Arca Swiss style mounting plates common to most high end ballheads gets you an added stability benefit.

Hope this helps!

Adding just a couple points to Sheldon's reply:
    - The GT3540LS will fit into US carry on luggage if the head is removed.
    - The anti-rotation legs are a nice but modest improvement (all three section locks on each leg can be simultaneously tightened/released with one twist while the leg is collapsed)
    jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    Here's some tips on what I find important to look for in a carbon fiber tripod...

Gitzo model's to consider -

GT2530 - three leg sections, has a removable center column, but a little on the light side and a little short w/o the center column.
    GT3530S - three leg sections, flat plate, very stable, but short at 129cm.
    GT3540LS - flat plate, stable, right height, but four leg sections.

Hope this helps!

So after a ton of googling, it looks like the tiltall is the overall best bang for the buck; the Gitzos are the best overall, but you pay through the nose; the feisol looks like the best price/quality for a modern fiber tripod.
    One more question for those of you who know more than I- assuming that a pentax 6X7 with lenses out to 200mm, which feisol ball head would you choose?
    The feisol site does not really spell out capacaties, and honestly, I am not sure how much stock to put into weight ratings and such anyway.

If you get a Tiltall, the head is more or less permanently attached to the column. If you want a different head, I think a 3-series Gitzo rapid column (without the Gitzo collar) will fit a Tiltall, and you can put a different head on it.

Terence

I just got the Feisol CB-50d, and it is pretty meaty. It should be more than enough for the Pentax and a 200mm. Although they don't say it for what I assume are liability reasons, it accepts Arca-style plates. The Feisol plates ar slightly narrower, so I'm not sure the Feisol plates are "backwards compatible" with other Arca style systems. It would depend on how tight the clamp can close.

Someone else might be able to tell you if the CB-30 is stout enough for the Pentax.