Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photo Gear Storage

Re: Photo Gear Storage

And back to the original post I forgot to tell Frank that I have all my medium and large format film sleeved in Printfile pages and stored in 3 ring binders in a bookcase. My 135 slides are in Printfile sleeves and stored in hanging files in a metal filing cabinet but I don't think I've used my Nikons in a couple of years.

Scott

Angry Re: Photo Gear Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Rubbermaid type stuff works well - under the couches or beds, on top of cabinets, etc.

Less stuff is the key thing...

Where do you keep all the negatives and books and such?

I would love to find a good cat disposal service. I found that kicking the damn things whenever the females aren't looking is a very good way to teach them male avoidance. I also "sport" toss them whenever I catch them, it is amazing how far you can throw them and they really do land on their feet nearly all the time. Except that once....
    Frank,

Very rarely do I get angry at anything I read here or anywhere online, but the comments you made regarding the cat is downright insensitive!

I am FURIOUS as I am in the position where my husband and I have decided that one of our five cats is ill enough that we are going to have him put to sleep tonight. I am literally crying as I type this and can't say anything else as it is not appropriate to say what I really want to say in public. Suffice it to say that you are SCUM to say what you did!

I'm sorry about YOUR cat Diane.

Not to worry about OUR cat. It leads a luxurious life and is a fat, purring, puking butterball. It's never been kicked, tossed, or thrown all that far, I was being sarcastic. I never would have chosen to get a cat myself, but thanks to comments like I've made here, I've convinced my wife that getting a replacement cat would not be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    I am FURIOUS as I am in the position where my husband and I have decided that one of our five cats is ill enough that we are going to have him put to sleep tonight. I am literally crying as I type this and can't say anything else as it is not appropriate to say what I really want to say in public. Suffice it to say that you are SCUM to say what you did!
    Diane,

I am very sorry to hear about your difficult decision. I grew up on a farm and bottle fed lots of kittens when their mothers were killed. All, and I mean all our cats and dogs met their demise in the road, 65mph speed limit will do that. We never had to put an animal to sleep due to age or organ failure. Since I met my wife 7 years ago we have had to put 3 cats down and only one died in the road. Quite a change. Putting an animal down is never an easy, but what ever is best for the animal is what should be done.

I actually like the cat and I think he needs more attention but I am VERY allergic to him. I edited my previous comment-meant in jest. Sorry for you loss

Scott

Diane,

I, too, am sorry for your loss. Been there. My comments were also mean in jest.

~Steve

Did Frank say cats? I think he meant models.

Diane sorry to hear of your loss, but understand that Frank made a joke and it's just that you're in a situation where there's little humor in anything. I had to put down my dog a few years back, he was nearly 15 and came to work with me every day of his life for almost 14 years. I spent 24/7 with him. When I told some of my long time clients of his passing, they cried. But one day he ticked me off and I was tired of picking up dog hair so enough was enough! ( a joke, see I can joke about him but that doesn't mean I didn't love him). Anyway you'll get over this current sadness and have fond memories which will bring you comfort, joy and the occasional tear to the eye. However I can not help but notice that these comments are way off topic and belong in the lounge. (another joke)

I bought a gun safe which is 55" high and 21" wide that looks OK for $169. I don't own guns but it's nice to have the storage space and the security as well. It's not very heavy so it gets lag bolted to the floor or a wall.

???

Thank you in regards to the cat.

As for photo gear storage, I use plastic bins for a lot of the smaller stuff, but don't always engage the lids. I let the lid sit on top of the handles, so they aren't totally sealed, but most of the fur is kept out of the box. I have lenses in Gnass bags and the larger cameras are on a shelf. The 4x5 is in a backpack.

Put a JOB BOX or Ridged Lock Box (Home Depot or Lowes) in the basement for your gear. They are 24"X24"x48" very secure and too large to walk away with. I have one in the back of the studio and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post
    Put a JOB BOX or Ridged Lock Box (Home Depot or Lowes) in the basement for your gear. They are 24"X24"x48" very secure and too large to walk away with. I have one in the back of the studio and it works great.
    Whoa, that's pretty heavy duty stuff

I'd really like to keep my gear on the first floor of the house so I think I'm going to stick with the closet. I may get this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...P&lpage=noneto, put it in the basement and fill it with the present closet contents. I think it would hold up better than one of the cloth freestanding wardrobes. That will free up the closet and I can put in the shelving I need and fill it with my camera gear, lightbox, JOBO stuff and chemistry etc. Maybe even an enlarger down the road

Scott