Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bodie and Mono Lake - first trip

Jim Ewins

Re: Bodie and Mono Lake - first trip

In April my wife & I were up early and arrived at mono, got set up awaiting the sun. Before it glimed a bus load of workshop folks came and crowded right in front. No good shots that morn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ewins View Post
    In April my wife & I were up early and arrived at mono, got set up awaiting the sun. Before it glimed a bus load of workshop folks came and crowded right in front. No good shots that morn!!
    That seems quite rude!

Going to Per Valquartz's first free workshop in Mammoth, I spent the night in Lee Vining. Although I had allowed several days to adapt after flying into Reno, I literally nearly died from Altitude Sickness. It took nearly six months to recover.
    If you feel "strange" (short of breath, easily fatigued, confusion, etc) it's time to seek medical help ASAP.
    I know this is rare, but it's something that one doesn't think of ahead of time.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I just returned from two weeks in the Eastern Sierra and a week in Lee Vining shooting my 7x17. The fires in Northern California had sent smoke and haze into the Mono Lake area so it was tough to get a decent shot. Bodie was the best as it was not as hazy. Bodie opened at 8am and for two days it did not get people busy until after 10am.

The fires are all almost out so by the time you get there it should get back to its beautiful self.

Enjoy and bring plenty of film.

Scott
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ewins View Post
    unfortunately that happens a lot which is why Monday and Tuesday mornings rule!

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    I just returned from two weeks in the Eastern Sierra and a week in Lee Vining shooting my 7x17. The fires in Northern California had sent smoke and haze into the Mono Lake area so it was tough to get a decent shot. Bodie was the best as it was not as hazy. Bodie opened at 8am and for two days it did not get people busy until after 10am.

The fires are all almost out so by the time you get there it should get back to its beautiful self.

Enjoy and bring plenty of film.

Scott
    the smoke was intense in Reno last weekend - it reminded me of LA!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Going to Per Valquartz's first free workshop in Mammoth, I spent the night in Lee Vining. Although I had allowed several days to adapt after flying into Reno, I literally nearly died from Altitude Sickness. It took nearly six months to recover.
    If you feel "strange" (short of breath, easily fatigued, confusion, etc) it's time to seek medical help ASAP.
    I know this is rare, but it's something that one doesn't think of ahead of time.
    Taking Midol helps when dealing with altitude sickness. Really. Of course, I get a bit irritable every 28 days
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

One of my favorite images was, while on a Bodie workshop, shooting inside the store.
    I realized a crowd of tourists gathered outside were peering in the front window...
    so i turned the camera toward them! They freaked-out! I had to tell them to stay & keep looking in! great fun pic! The moral: tourists can make interesting subjects!
    David Silva

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    The moral: tourists can make interesting subjects!
    David Silva
    So true!

http://bostick-sullivan.invisionzone...&req=si&img=41

Vaughn