Thread: Ries A-250 Head: Some Questions

Ries A-250 Head: Some Questions

Hi all,

Just got a used Ries double tilt head, and had a couple of questions. First, the knob to release the sideways tilt gets stuck on the platform unless the platform is tilted up. Is there a way to lock and unlock the sideways tilt when the platform is straight?
    Also, the up and down tilt is a little stiff, would you use some wd-40 on the joints and blades or is there a reason not to? Thanks.

GB

Re: Ries A-250 Head: Some Questions

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi all,

Just got a used Ries double tilt head, and had a couple of questions. First, the knob to release the sideways tilt gets stuck on the platform unless the platform is tilted up. Is there a way to lock and unlock the sideways tilt when the platform is straight?
    Also, the up and down tilt is a little stiff, would you use some wd-40 on the joints and blades or is there a reason not to? Thanks.

GB
    The tighten and untighten knob for the sideways tilt pulls away to allow it to freely align itself to the optimal orientation. I would call Ries and ask them directly as to the lubrication that they advise. They have great customer service and eliminates the need to guess.

How do you mean "pulls away", just yank on it outwards?

wfwhitaker

It's spring-loaded. Pull it out to disengage and align it to where you need it. When you release it, it re-engages.

Thanks, I got it. How about lubrication?

Photographer

I wouldn't use wd40. You'll just collect dirt. I couldn't know what "a little stiff" is, but unless it's binding up, I'd guess it's OK. Use it and get used to it.
    Keith Pitman

GB, agree with Keith about the WD40, but send an email to Ries and see what they say. Can't hurt and you may have some good information to share with the rest of us. Plus use might actually take some of the stiffness out.

BTW, a little jealous about the head Enjoy it!
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Hi Mike,

Just took it out today and it works great, very steady and intuitive to use. All I need now is some extension legs for my tripod, could have used them today on the rooof I was shooting from.

GB

One might consider using a dry lubricant like graphite in small doses as an option. Its what quite a few locksmiths use here in Alaska, as it does not "freeze up" in the cold like a wet lubricant would. There are also newer "spray on wet" to dry synthetic lubricants that might do the trick as well. And this way you would not have a "wet surface" to collect dirt.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-