Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oceanside Oregon

Re: Oceanside Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I don't want to say you can't believe anything you read in Wikipedia, but our own University of Oregon sells "Orygun" merchandise. I'm sure they teach the kids there how to pronounce the name of the state correctly...

http://uoduckstore.com/spiritduck/de...348&section=55

But Sheldon and Kerry both know this state well. Sheldon, how about posting that really cool long exposure photo you took at the beach this (?) year for Photojeep.
    I know, I see those Orygun stickers everywhere and think they're all wrong! It must be something that those U of O folks in Eugene are smoking, they are known for that.

I'm not sure which long exposure image you are referring to, I have a bunch that I like.

Photojeep - check out my Flickr site in my signature for some images of the coast. If you see anything that you're interested in, I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

Yeah, I guess there's some flexiblity on the second syllable, but it definitely has to end in "gun".

Sheldon, I was thinking of the photo you posted to the landscape thread a few months ago - the one you brought to the East Bank meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I don't want to say you can't believe anything you read in Wikipedia, but our own University of Oregon sells "Orygun" merchandise. I'm sure they teach the kids there how to pronounce the name of the state correctly...

http://uoduckstore.com/spiritduck/de...348&section=55

But Sheldon and Kerry both know this state well. Sheldon, how about posting that really cool long exposure photo you took at the beach this (?) year for Photojeep.
    Fourteen years on the U of O campus and another 6 years just off campus almost had me saying Ory--Gone and Willa-Met (Eugene is in the South end of the Will-Am-Mutt valley), which may have been the prompt for the Book Store merchandise. We had to shield ourselves from the mispronunciations of out of state students and foreign students and visiting professors

This one was from Ya-Hots (Yachats) ...

It's right off Highway 101, no hiking required. Just look for "Windy Way" which is a little dead end street.

That's the one - I love that shot!

Oceanside - Fabulous location on the coast.

Beaches are owned by Oregon State Highway Department - years ago they were used as a highway (look up "Hug Point" for example.). A tunnel exists under the bluff in at the north end of the beach in "downtown" Oceanside. I was told it was part of that old route (but its rather small..but so were cars back then)...who knows?

Watch for a tide that is going out....and take that tunnel. Its long and dark. The north end exits on a beach (when tide is out) and there are some fantastic rock formations in the surf and sandy beach.
    Just watch the tide - as it goes in, you want to be back in the tunnel. Don't get trapped on the beach north of the tunnel entrance (others have).

Have fun.