Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oceanside Oregon

www.reallybigcameras.com

Re: Oceanside Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    I do have one question though, how do you pronounce "Netarts"? I don't want to insult anyone there or sound stupid. I think it rhymes with sweet tarts but my wife just laughs at me.
    Knee Tarts

And while you're here, you should probably know that Oregon is pronounced Or a Gun, Willamette is pronounced will LAM et and further down the coast Yachats is pronounced ya HOTS.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Hopelessly Lost

Im in Gold Beach right now after cruising through the redwoods. Its a bit far from Oceanside but I there are tons of your offshore sea stacks types of settings down here. The weather was perfect yesterday, nice a foggy but today was clear and cool. Ill be up Oceanside way tomorrow...

Cheers!
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    Knee Tarts

And while you're here, you should probably know that Oregon is pronounced Or a Gun, Willamette is pronounced will LAM et and further down the coast Yachats is pronounced ya HOTS.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    As In "I'm gonna go down town tonight and pick me up a couple of Knee Tarts.... just for laughs, of course. Maybe I'll do that down in Yah Hots! I just have to remember not to say Oree Gone in front of some native Ory Goneeyans (correct)."

Many of the communities in Oregon are named with Native American names, which are pronounced much differently than they look. Just ask a local. They are used to it, and usually quite friendly. However, I remember a National Guard Summer Camp in West Virginia in 1965, when a bunch of us Oree goneyans were drinking at the NCO club with a bunch of boys from Boston. After a few rounds and lots of BS, we had those Bostonians convinced we still had trouble with Indian uprisings. I tell ya.... you folks on the East Coast have to get out more. Leave the big city once in a while. I guess it's not surprising however. Those boys were still celebrating some ancient tea party. Some people just never move on.

Oh, and we don't... the uprisings petered out in the 1980's. It's safe to put your head under a dark cloth on any beach in Oregon without a lookout.

OK, maybe that's not absolutely true. During the Rhododendron Festival in Florence the beaches are filled with Bikers... ie. Hells Angels, Gypsy Jokers, Free Souls and Bikers for Christ. Included in those ranks must be one or two Native Americans. The Rhody Festival was the third week in May, so there are probably only a few bikers sleeping on the dunes by now.

jetcode

there's a nice aeronautical museum near Tillamook worth taking a look at - they have a Zero, an F-14, and several other war planes of different vintages

The following thread over on APUG may be of interest.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/5...-subforum.html
    Several of the NW members are meeting for a 2 day get together in Newport on the 13th and 14th of September. I would really like to be there but am not going to be able to.

Dan
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    Oregon is pronounced Or a Gun,
    "Or EE gun" - all run together into one word with no pauses.

Kerry, not from here? :^)

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    "Or EE gun" - all run together into one word with no pauses.

Kerry, not from here? :^)
    Not from here originally, but I have lived here almost 20 years.

From the Wikipedia Oregon Page:

"Present-day Oregonians have a preferred pronunciation of "Oregon": it's "pronounced OR-UH-GUN never OR-EE-GONE" (according to the Oregon Tourism Commission)."

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

I'm with Kerry, or-uh-gun. If you say it fast enough and slur it, you can get away with or-gun. Or even pronouncing it like the word "organ".

To the original poster, don't forget to visit the Tillamook cheese factory and try their sharp cheddar. Mmmmm.

Also, buy yourself a couple solid ND filters to play around with long exposures at the ocean. Fun stuff!

I don't want to say you can't believe anything you read in Wikipedia, but our own University of Oregon sells "Orygun" merchandise. I'm sure they teach the kids there how to pronounce the name of the state correctly...

http://uoduckstore.com/spiritduck/de...348&section=55

But Sheldon and Kerry both know this state well. Sheldon, how about posting that really cool long exposure photo you took at the beach this (?) year for Photojeep.

Tillamook is dairy country (Tillamook Cheese?)... lotta fields with cows and barns.
    Tillamook cheddar cheese is the best in the world, stop in they have café, tour, and out of this world ice cream.