Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oceanside Oregon

Oceanside Oregon

I will be traveling to the Oregon coast in mid August, to Oceanside specifically, and since I have never been there before, can anyone suggest some nearby locations that would be conducive to landscape/seascape photography? My wife hopes to plant herself on the beach to relax and read so this gives me some "alone" time with my camera.

Thanks in advance,
    Randy

Re: Oceanside Oregon

There are the Dunes in Florence. Shore Acres, Bandon, Cannon Beach and so many more. Just be aware that Oregon coast isn't always sunny and warm. Yesterday, I took the family to Ecola Beach to some relief from the heat the Portland Metro area. Relief we got! I nearly froze out there photographing while my kids made sand castles.
    My wife wanted to read but sat covered in her blanket instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    There are the Dunes in Florence. Shore Acres, Bandon, Cannon Beach and so many more. Just be aware that Oregon coast isn't always sunny and warm. Yesterday, I took the family to Ecola Beach to some relief from the heat the Portland Metro area. Relief we got! I nearly froze out there photographing while my kids made sand castles.
    My wife wanted to read but sat covered in her blanket instead.
    Thank you for the response Robert! Your day at the beach sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I have lived in Las Vegas for 28 years where it will be 101 tomorrow and 103 the day after that. I can't wait to freeze!

It's funny, when we travel to the Pacific Northwest, everyone we meet always apologizes for the weather when they hear where we are from. Heck, we want the water to fall from the sky! (What do you call it? Rain?) When you live in a place that gets less than 4 inches of rain yearly, it is a wonderful experience when it happens. It is even better when we go someplace on vacation and it actually happens!

Thanks again for the recommendations,
    Randy

Smile Re: Oceanside Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    Thank you for the response Robert! Your day at the beach sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I have lived in Las Vegas for 28 years where it will be 101 tomorrow and 103 the day after that. I can't wait to freeze!

It's funny, when we travel to the Pacific Northwest, everyone we meet always apologizes for the weather when they hear where we are from. Heck, we want the water to fall from the sky! (What do you call it? Rain?) When you live in a place that gets less than 4 inches of rain yearly, it is a wonderful experience when it happens. It is even better when we go someplace on vacation and it actually happens!

Thanks again for the recommendations,
    Randy
    Well, I hope you get rain when you wish and light fog or light clouds for your photography. You're heading to the coast to get cool and possibly wet and I'm heading over to Central Oregon to get heat and dry off. I wish you a great visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    Well, I hope you get rain when you wish and light fog or light clouds for your photography. You're heading to the coast to get cool and possibly wet and I'm heading over to Central Oregon to get heat and dry off. I wish you a great visit!
    Thank you very much!
    Randy

Not that I think you need direction, but

Here is a sketch of the Oregon Coast. Oceanside is on that little nub that is right next to Tillamook. Tillamook is dairy country (Tillamook Cheese?)... lotta fields with cows and barns. Oceanside is on the cost and Tillamook is on the south end of Tillamook Bay. All up and down the Oregon Coast is riddled with scenery... lighthouses, Overlooks (called Heads... like Heceta Head), beaches, and rocky shorelines. The head above Cape Perpetua (south) was a Naval Installation during WWII, a lookout station for enemy Submarines. Incredible view up and down the coast if you drive to the top. Breathtaking vistas, particularly if you are sensitive to heights.

On another note, when you are on that part of the coast (north Oregon), you will not be an overly long drive in to McMinville Oregon, were the Evergreen Air Museum has built a beautiful building to primarily house the "Spruce Goose". I live in Central Oregon (Bend), and before the project to move Howard Hughes Flying Boat to McMinnville began, I met the man who was put in charge of the project, planning it, overseeing the disassembly, shipping and reconstruction of the craft. They actually hired 8 of the original Spruce Goose engineers to assist on the mission. Also breathtaking in a different way.

I hope you are allowing enough time to see, and record, all the wonderful sights. If not, you will likely try to find a way to come back. Another area with amazing sights is further south.... Bandon area, Gold Beach, Brookings and down to the Northern California coastline. But that's close to 200 miles south and part of the trip is inland.

I live roughly where the OR is on the Map... Bend (central) OR

http://www.nwcoast.com/realestate/im...p_detailed.gif

Thank you Kuzano!

We will only have about 3 days to shoot so I am sure we will be going back.

I really appreciate all of the info. The map is wonderful!

Thanks again,
    Randy

www.reallybigcameras.com

Randy,

You picked a GREAT spot. Oceanside is located on the Three Capes Scenic Route. I've driven the route and photographed in the area many times. The Three Capes are (from north to south): Cape Meares, Cape Lookout and Cape Kiwanda (my first published photo was a shot of the sandstone cliffs of Cape Kiwanda that ran on the cover of Oregon Coast Magazine). You could devote one day per Cape, or mix it up. Oceanside is located between Cape Meares and Cape Lookout, and Cape Kiwanda is still within reasonable driving distance (about 20 miles).

Three Arch Rocks are just a short walk up the beach from Oceanside. One of Oregon's two Haystack Rocks is located off shore near Cape Kiwanda. You also have Tillamook Bay and Netarts Bay to photograph and there is a lighthouse on Cape Meares. I don't think you'll have any trouble filling up your three days with interesting things to photograph.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    Thank you Kuzano!

We will only have about 3 days to shoot so I am sure we will be going back.

I really appreciate all of the info. The map is wonderful!

Thanks again,
    Randy
    Google or Yahoo those towns north and south of Tillamook. Most of them have Chamber of Commerce web sites with great photos. As you can see, there are a lot of communities and most are one or near beaches. There are a lot of parks and public access on the beaches. Have a great trip. Bring lots of fresh film.

Wow! I had no idea so many of you folks live there or have been there. Thank you to all!

I do have one question though, how do you pronounce "Netarts"? I don't want to insult anyone there or sound stupid. I think it rhymes with sweet tarts but my wife just laughs at me.

Thanks again to all!
    Randy