Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vuescan RAW files...

Vuescan RAW files...

Hey folks,

I tried searching for anything on Vuescan Pro and it's RAW file capabilities, but didn't find any information here on lfphoto. Is anyone familiar with this software and the RAW files? I've been using Epson Scan with my v700 for several months now and it is nothing to be desired.

Coming from the digital SLR world, a RAW file to me means lots and lots of data! Color correcting and exposure correction becomes a breeze with RAW files. With the Vuescan Pro software, what exactly does RAW mean?

Thanks,

Jason

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Vuescan RAW files...

A raw file from a scanner is just the same as a raw file from a digital camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Hey folks,

I tried searching for anything on Vuescan Pro and it's RAW file capabilities, but didn't find any information here on lfphoto. Is anyone familiar with this software and the RAW files? I've been using Epson Scan with my v700 for several months now and it is nothing to be desired.

Coming from the digital SLR world, a RAW file to me means lots and lots of data! Color correcting and exposure correction becomes a breeze with RAW files. With the Vuescan Pro software, what exactly does RAW mean?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Perhaps, the easiest way to find the answer to what you're looking for is to contact Ed Hambrick himself at Vuescan [ edhamrick@aol.com ]

However, in regards to your comment, " I've been using Epson Scan with my v700 for several months now and it is nothing to be desired." would you mind expanding on the comment?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Ole, do you happen to know if the .TIFF files can be opened up with Adobe Camera RAW? I'm running PS CS2 if that matters at all.

Capocheny, I'm not too fond with the interface and things that should be relatively "easy" is made difficult with the Epson Scan software. Perhaps I'm just too used to using Photoshop to process my images? Even in the professional mode, basic things such as unsharp mask and dust removal is reduced to 3 settings (low, medium, and high) and offers very little in terms of control.

Also, thanks for the contact information! I'll shoot Mr. Hamrick an e-mail and see if there's a way to obtain a trial version of the Vuescan Pro software. If the RAW files really equivalent to a RAW file from a dSLR, this will definitely make things a bit easier. I haven't quite gotten to developing my own color negs or transparencies quite yet (barely getting my feet wet with b/w printing now), so this will be a great solution for the time being.

Thanks for your help guys,

Jason

Oops, just realized that this is the wrong forum for this.

Could a moderator please move this to the Digital Processing forum?

Thank you,

Jason

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The .TIFF files are regular .tif files, and any image editing program can open them.

I'm using VueScan on an aging laptop running Windows ME, hooked up via SCSI card to an even older AGFA Duoscan T1200. The scans are then transferred to a far newer PC for processing - even opening one scan on the old laptop can take hours!

In case anyone else is interested, I just exchanged a few emails with Ed Hamrick and he said the Vuescan software will scan negatives as a .TIFF or DNG file. He said the DNG files work well with ACR. Also, there is no trial version at this time.

Ole, you must be very patient! I don't think I would ever have the patience to wait for hours just to have a file opened! Kudos to you sir

Jason

Jason, you can also open both tiff and jpg files with the newest version of Camera RAW but you you need to turn a particular setting on.

In CS3, open Bridge and go to File - Camera RAW Preferences, then look at the last section called JPEG and TIFF Handling and you'll see two checkboxes, one for JPEG and one for TIFF. Check the one you want (or both) and you're in business.

It is not the same as working with real RAW files (i.e. Canon .RAW or Nikon .NEF) but it still gives you much more control over some image parameters, such as white balance and exposure.

As a side note, RAW files are not all created equal, most of them are highly proprietary and they come in variety of bit-depths and even file extensions. Canon 1DS (the first version) had its RAW files saved as TIFF, for example, but they were still full-fledged RAW files.

All being said, if your software can produce DNG files, that would be your best bet, IMHO.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Coming from the digital SLR world, a RAW file to me means lots and lots of data!
    A 16-bit TIFF file out of any scanner also has lots and lots of data. What makes "raw" output from VueScan different from TIFF output is that it skips the pretty severe curve adjustment needed to make the output look more like a standard tonal curve. But it's still a lot closer to a recognizable picture than a DSLR raw file from a camera with a Bayer-matrix sensor, where lots of information needs to be reconstructed.

That said, some users find that starting with the raw scanner output makes it easier to get a full tonal scale out of a negative. See, for example, Colin Jago's discussion here on using raw mode for scanning B&W negatives. But I've never had any luck with the procedure Colin describes, and so far I've found it easier, and gotten better results, just to use VueScan's standard TIFF output. At any rate, raw per se won't make color correction or exposure correction any easier; if anything, it will be more complicated. And if you happen to find the tools in ACR easier to use, then as Marko points out, you can load ordinary TIFF files into ACR too; you don't need a raw file.

I'm not sure what you understood from Ed Hamrick about there not being a trial version - you can download VueScan free to try it before you buy, although the raw file feature is available only in the "Professional" version, which you do have to pay for. If you're really unhappy with the Epson software, I'd suggest downloading VueScan just to see if you're more comfortable with its user interface. It's certainly cheap enough to buy if you decide you like it.

Hey Marko, I'm still running CS2 so I won't be able to open up a JPEG on ACR (though I am curious to see how far you can stretch a JPEG in ACR).

Oren, could you explain why a raw file will make color correction correction more complicated? Assuming that I have a scanned raw file and open it up in ACR, adjusting the WB would be fairly easy. I asked Ed if there was a trial version of the Pro software as I'm most interested in the raw file output. I'll most likely purchase the Pro version of the software. Lifetime free updates sounds like a pretty good deal

Thanks for your help guys,

Jason