Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of the Maxwell Screen

In Praise of the Maxwell Screen

In the approximately 10 years I have been shooting LF, other than the Boss screen, I think I have tried most of the available ground glass options, including the original that came in my Wisner Expedition, the Beattie Intenscreen and most recently the Satin Snow. For one reason or another I found each of them lacking. (I would have to say however, that in terms of value for the money the Satin Snow is quite good.)

A few weeks ago I purchased a Maxwell screen. I was hesitant for quite a while on this purchase because it is quite expensive. But eventually I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

Prior to last week, I haven't had time for any photography since I installed the Maxwell screen and was anxious to try it out. I just returned from a 7-day road trip of camping and photographing, travelling first to the mountains of West Virginia, then across over into Virginia, driving the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway down to North Carolina with several side trips along the way.

With respect to the Maxwell screen, all I can say is, "Wow!" This screen is, by a wide margin, the best ground glass option that I have tried. The off-axis viewing is much better than I expected and much better than anything I have previously used, with very little light fall-off in the corners. For the first time, using a 6x Silvestri loupe, I was able to stop down to f/32 and check focus right up into the corners and actually see something. The screen is so bright it was as if an LCD had been installed in my camera.

Needless to say, I love the Maxwell screen and am quite confident I have purchased my last groung glass/fresnel option. Yes, it is expensive; but for me, at least, it is very much worth every penny.

My feelings exactly.

I also like the fact that the Fresnel rulings don't interfere with focusing even with a fairly high power loupe.

Yes. I've got one on my Toho. It really works well, and with a surprising range of lenses. I thought I might have trouble on either end, but it works well for me from 80mm out to 360mm. As Mr. Moore says, worth every penny.

Bruce Watson

Absolutely agreed. I've used a Maxwell screen for about 4 years and it's unquestionably the best I've seen. I recommend them highly to my LF workshop participants, and they've been as pleased as I am. I also had Bill treat the original GG in my Fuji GX680, which added about 2 stops to its brightness level...finally, it became easy to focus on low-light macro subjects!

Regards,
    Danny Burk www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

Forgot to mention, my lenses range from a Super Angulon XL 58/5.6 out to the Nikon 450/9. I was really surprised at the performance with the 58. When I spoke to Mr. Maxwell, he informed me that he makes a screen specifically for wide angle, but after putting it through the paces over the past week I don't see the need for it. Besides, it would require the addition of an extra back for my Wisner and I don't like the prospects of trying to get one of those given the current state of affairs at Wisner.

I agree. I think I've used them all - Fresnels on two Ebony cameras and a Tachihara, Linhof Super Screen, plain ground glass, Beattie, and BosScreens on three or four different cameras. I like the BosScreen and it does cost about $100 less than the Maxwell but the Maxwell is the best of the bunch IMHO and well worth the cost. I can put an 80mm lens on the camera and see everything perfectly from edge to edge with virtually no light fall off. Plus things "pop" into focus almost as well as with a plain ground glass.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Jim Ewins

Where can these Maxwell Screens be obtained?

Maxwell Precision Optics,
    P.O. Box 33146,
    Decatur, GA 30033-0146

Phone: 404-244-0095

E-mail: maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Yes, they sure are good. And if you want to be sure that they are good, just ask Bill Maxwell. He'll tell you all about it, and for some time, too.

Just curious what the price is for a 4x5 screen? Bill did talk my ear off when I bought one for my Rolleiflex TLR (SUPERB) but what a screen.

From experience, don't email, call. If he doesn't answer, leave a message and he will return your call. He often leaves emails unanswered.