Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having problems with KEH?

Re: Anyone else having problems with KEH?

Twenty five years ago I use to stroll into KEH when they were located on 14th Street. The place was full of shelves with bins overflowing. It was always a great place to find whatever I needed. Then they went strickly mailorder when they moved to Marietta Street. I still use to go in and sell gear to the buyers and pick up my orders. They have always been very accommodating. I moved out of Atlanta eight years ago and since have been mail order exclusively like most. In twenty five + years of buying from them I cannot complain. I received two items inventoried wrong: a FUJINON lens cap mistaken for a RODENSTOCK (size was correct), and a Hassy #1 lens handle. They told me to keep the cap and sent the correct one and they did reimburst me for the Hassy handle return postage. Their grading has always been excellent and their prices seem very fair for their return policy. I honestly cannot say anything negative about KEH and prefer to buy from them for used gear, and not on the bay.

Best,
    Darr

Hi, Darr. I've had problems only recently. The thing is, as we should know from mutual funds, that past performance is, well, past performance and not a good predictor of current or future performance.

What really frosted me was two discoveries. Even after I'd told KEH the first board I got from them (coupla months ago) was not for any size of Graphics, they continued to advertise it -- must have bought more than one -- as for Graphics. And when I asked the salesman to have the shipping department measure before shipping, he said that he couldn't communicate with them.

We all make mistakes. Errors happen. Most of us try to prevent errors and correct them promptly. It isn't clear that KEH is set up to do either well enough.

Cheers,

Dan

Lascassas, TN

Over the past few years, I have purchased a Zone VI camera, couple of lens, meter, a medium format system, etc. I also have sold them several items.

Recently I used their repair service for a shutter CLA. It was cleaned and returned in less than two weeks.

Overall I have had excellent service from KEH.
    Bill Kumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hi, Darr. I've had problems only recently. The thing is, as we should know from mutual funds, that past performance is, well, past performance and not a good predictor of current or future performance.

What really frosted me was two discoveries. Even after I'd told KEH the first board I got from them (coupla months ago) was not for any size of Graphics, they continued to advertise it -- must have bought more than one -- as for Graphics. And when I asked the salesman to have the shipping department measure before shipping, he said that he couldn't communicate with them.

We all make mistakes. Errors happen. Most of us try to prevent errors and correct them promptly. It isn't clear that KEH is set up to do either well enough.

Cheers,

Dan
    Dan,

Your recent experiences are worrisome. King Grant started the business back in the 70s and I dealt with him personally years ago. His philosophy was customer service first and foremost. I wonder if a change in management or ownership has evolved in a bad way. My last purchase with KEH was earlier this year and it was uneventful (no problems). But the fact the salesman could not/would not have the true measurements for you prior to shipping is disturbing. After all, they deal in technical gear. I would point this thread to KEH to see if they understand where it sounds they may be heading.

Kind Regards,
    Darr

I've purchased several things over the last six months from KEH with absolutely delightful results. My "User" Mamiya 7 looked, felt, smelled and tasted like new. And a Toyo lensboard adapter was the same. Both items arrived within 72 hours of placing the order on line.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

After several rounds of serious disappointment with KEH, I've completely given up on them. Now, I deal only with View Camera Store, Badger and MPEX and the local guys, Keeble&Shuchat and Camera West. KEH has some serious problems shipping what they have advertised on the website.

After several rounds of serious disappointment with KEH, I've completely given up on them. Now, I deal only with View Camera Store, Badger and MPEX and the local guys, Keeble&Shuchat and Camera West. KEH has some serious problems shipping what they have advertised on the website.
    Brad is exactly right.

I have had problems with KEH as well. I don't understand why they can't just photograph their items and use those pictures in their Ads.

I recently sent back a fuji 90mm lens that was described and pictured as the latest version in a copal shutter. I received the older Seiko version instead. Prior to my purchase, I asked the salesperson and he assured me that it was the newer version of the lens, I was very disappointed when I unpacked the older version I received.

Ron Miller

Yes I have had issues with KEH. After what I consider a disrespectful conversation betweek KEH salespeople and my wife, I decided that I would not do business with them again.

I purchased a LF lens from them in Ex or EX+ condition, I can't tell right now (I am travellling). The shutter was slow at 1 sec. and 1/2 sec., almost twice the indicated time, but sometimes getting faster after several firings only to slow down again the next time. So I felt uncomfortable with any of the speeds. The whole lens was moving in the shutter when turning the speed setting. - For me too many problems for an 'Ex' lens.
    I called - no problem to return the lens.
    Now it has been three weeks since KEH received the item and I am stiil waiting for my money, e-mails unanswered, when I get them on the phone, 'Don't know why you have not been paid yet. Will take care of it.'
    Still waiting.
    I will never buy there again.
    Just as I post this, I receive the refund. But still - took 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Stefan Findel; 18-Dec-2009 at 13:19. Reason: added info