Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having problems with KEH?

Re: Anyone else having problems with KEH?

On a bad transaction does KEH pay for return shipping? On those rare times when they ship the wrong item or a broken item. Today shipping costs can be pretty high. Sometimes more than the item cost.

Chuck, they've offered to reimburse shipping. What really annoys me is that, having been burnt once, I tried hard not to be burnt again and failed. And I don't enjoy going to the Post Office.

Frank, it wasn't one bad transaction, it was two with the same mistake. The revelation that KEH doesn't have systems to detect and correct errors made when items are put into the database makes me uncomfortable, too. Also the fact that the folks in the warehouse are brain dead. You'd think that the difference in size between a 2x3 board labelled 2x3 and a 4x5 board labelled 2x3 would have caused the packer to check.

Cheers,

Dan

KEH is not a great place to buy from, the items you get are not what you expect. You buy a lens and it is EX, when you get it there are spots of fungus in them. It's simple, hold it up to the light and look into it. They are either greedy or there is a fairy doing the grading, probably the first.

I have made several purchases from KEH. I just received my most recent purchase. My experience has been that they grade conservatively. I have always been surprised and delighted with the condition of the lenses, boards and strobes that I have purchased, all far exceeding my expectations and perceptions of their grading, yes, even "bargain".

I have always heard that they are great with returns, but, fortunately, I have not had any experience. My only complaint is that their shipping & handling charges sometimes are a bit heavy handed.

Every vendor can have an issue, the real test of integrity, on behalf of both vendor and customer, is how the issue is resolved.

Cheers,
    Geary

I've bought from them several times. One minor problem when a Hasse body came in with a winding knob instead of the expected new type of crank. They next day expressed the crank after one quick phone call. One major problem when a Zone VI bag bellows (old style) fell apart after about five months. Even though it was out of warranty, they refunded my money in full immediately after I sent it to them. I would have opted to buy another one form them but they were out of stock at the time.

My experience with their grading is that they are very, very conservative. Things that I have bought at 'bargain', I would have graded at excellent, to excellent plus.

I will buy again without reservation.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I must be one who has had a bad run with them. I was a sucker three times, I guess it took a while to learn, I kept hearing all of the glowing remarks.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have purchased maybe ten to fifteen items from them over the years. Three times I have had to return something. The first one - a Hasselblad body which had the mirror out of registration, and the last two were due to misrepresentations of what the item was. And I did not get reimbursed for my shipping on at least one occasion if I remember correctly.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've purchased several items from KEH over the past few years without complaint. One was a Toyo 45C for about $250. When the camera arrived it was an Omega 45C but the condition was better than described and it came with a fresnel back instead of the plain ground glass as advertised. All in all I thought it was an excellent purchase so I didn't send it back.

Preston Birdwell

I've bought several lenses in 35 and 645 from them and had no problems at all. I also had their repair facility calibrate an older Pentax 1/21 spotmeter, and they also installed a new bellows on my Tachihara. I was very pleased with the quality of the work and their service.

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I purchased a bargain lens from them for $750 and had good luck with it. The defect didn't affect it's performance or ease of use.

But, their method of operation is an insult to the customer. Rather than describing an item over the phone, they prefer to send it to you and have you return it as unsatisfactory. So, you pay postage both ways to save them having to pad down to their warehouse.

That's horse crap.